≡ Menu

Schengen Visa Questions

Questions, advice, and information about Europe’s Schengen visa I have been asked hundreds — if not thousands — of questions about the Schengen visa of Europe over the years and have heard testimonies from tons of travelers who have overstayed this visa, are planning to overstay, are trying to marry a European, and are, in [...]

Support VBJ’s writing on this blog:

Questions, advice, and information about Europe’s Schengen visa

I have been asked hundreds — if not thousands — of questions about the Schengen visa of Europe over the years and have heard testimonies from tons of travelers who have overstayed this visa, are planning to overstay, are trying to marry a European, and are, in general, having difficulties with the immigration of the Schengen zone.

On this page, I will collect many common questions as well as my responses.

Background of the Schengen zone and visa

In 1995 the Schengen Treaty was signed in Luxembourg, and travel in Europe has not been the same since. The Schengen agreement sought to drop internal borders between the member states which spread across the whole of western Europe, and is still growing eastward to this day. This means that there would no longer be border checkpoints nor immigration inspections between the countries included in this agreement.

Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it? What traveler likes border crossings?

The catch is that non-EU visitors to the region are now only given 90 days within a 180 day period to travel through the 25 countries of the Schengen immigration zone. This is a little over 3 days per country. Although this is a multiple entry visa, once these 90 days are used up, the traveler must leave the entire region for at least thee months before returning.

In a region where travelers were once given at least 90 day entry stamps per country with the option of doing easy visa runs, they now get 90 days for an entire continent with no option for quick and easy renewal nor extensions. This has caused many problems for travelers in Europe and I intend to highlight some of them below.

Who needs what type of visa to visit the Schengen zone?

Visa for Schengen zone

Key to above Schengen zone visa map

If you have a question about the Schengen visa, feel free to ask it through the comment form below.

Frequently asked questions about the Schengen visa

What is the punishment for overstaying a Schengen visa?

Hello Again Wade, I had emailed you before regarding us, we are a family of four overstaying our time in Italy. We arrived in September 2010, and are planning on leaving in the summer to return to the US. We are taking your advice and will be sure to fly out of Italy direct to NYC and will not stop in a Schengen zone country. We are also making sure that for any future travels we follow the protocol that we should have followed this time – 90 days in and 90 days out. Of course this is assuming we get out unscathed. I do have a few questions. Would it benefit us at all to leave some time in late September and hope for a sleep customs official who may not be aware of the year stamp on our passport. Or is that stupid of me to think? My thought was Sept – July would be obvious – but Sept to late Sept (different years) by get passed. Or is it just best to get out as soon as possible? We really do not want to leave for a number of reasons until the summer at the earliest – but at the same time we don’t want to make matters worse. Would it benefit us at all to contact our Embassy before we leave or will that just ensure we get caught on the way out and get a mandatory ban. Finally, my questions have to do with the fines. If we do get caught on an overstay – I know there are fines. Are they tiered – so the longer you stay the more you pay? Is there a cap? Do you know how much fines generally are – i.e. 1000 Euros or 10,000 Euros? I suppose if you don’t have the money to pay you are placed in jail – correct? I worry about this because we are travelling with two younger children and that worries me about what would happen to them. Anyway, we are just trying to plan our escape – now that we have gotten ourselves into this mess – and make things right so we can continue to travel and follow the rules in the future. Any advice you can give me would be very helpful!


Typically, the penalties for a one day overstay are the same for 10 years — there are no tiered penalties contingent upon the amount of time you overstayed. In this way, the Schengen overstay policy is a little silly and backwards, and I have no idea what the incentive is to exit the region ASAP after an overstay. Currently, an overstay in an overstay no matter how long. Though keep in mind that this can change at any time.

I would also not bet on fooling the immigration officials by leaving a year after your entry and hoping they just don’t notice the year marked out on your entrance stamp. These people look at passport stamps ALL DAY long — this is one of the only things they do, in fact. So I would not hope to fool them: it they are so careless as to not notice a year overstay they are probably careless enough to not care about an overstay of any length.

Currently, I still receive many reports from people who have freely exited the Schengen zone from Italy who have overstayed their visas, so I would say that the chances of them taking action on you are, relatively speaking, slim.

In regards to having to pay a fine if you are caught overstaying, the only countries that have been reported doing this are Switzerland and Greece. I have not yet heard of someone being fined in any other Schengen country.

To answer your question about what the immigration officials could do for you if you are punished for the overstay, all I can say is don’t worry too much. They won’t put you in jail. The worst you can expect is to be taken into a small little room, given a form to fill out, getting a lecture, and having photocopies of your passports taking. There is very little chance that you will even miss your flight.

In all, I have to say do not worry too much about the overstay. Consulting probability, the chance of being punished for the overstay when exiting the region from Italy is not very high, and the chances of being forced to pay a high fine is near zero, and as far as being taken to jail — well, don’t even consider it. It is my impression is that you and your family will just have your details tossed into the SIS — the Schengen immigration computer system — and receive a three year ban. But keep your head up, Italy still likes tourists spending money in their country 😉

Can you return to the Schengen Zone with a different passport and get another tourist visa before being out of the region for 90 days?

Hi Wade, I hope you are not tired, responding to thousand of enquiries!!! I have a question too, please. My girl friend has US and Israel Passports. She came to France ( via Swiss) and stayed for 88 days with her US passport and left Israel with same. She is planning to come back in 3 weeks using Isreali Passport for another 89 days (or more if possible). Is there any risk in doing that?. As no where in the visa regulation talk about the people with dual citizen ship/altering the passport to enter europe, we are confused about the legal side. please advice. Thanks and best regards, Johnson

Your girlfriend should be fine to reenter Europe on her Israeli passport. This would technically be an overstay, but there are some grey areas as far as if people with passports from two different countries can be detected. It does not seem to me — if there is no prior immigration problem on her record — that she will be flagged upon reentry.

Though I would recommend a different port of entry — Switzerland and Germany are by far the strictest — but I think she should be fine to reenter. Just tell her not to show the US passport. As of now, it is a little unclear as to when information is entered into the SIS (the Schengen immigration computer system) on travelers. Most evidence points to the fact that info is generally only entered upon an immigration violation, although I have received circumstantial evidence of people being tracked without having previously overstayed their visa. If she had previously overstayed her visa, I would say that there could be a good chance of her being caught and denied entry, but as she exited clean her previous time in Europe, it is my opinion that, although technically against the rules, she should not have any problems if she uses her Israeli passport.

As she is coming from the country of the passport issuer (Israel) no suspicion as to missing exit and entry stamps should be raised (i.e. if she exited Europe on her US passport and then entered into a third country with it and then tried to return to Europe from this country with her Israeli passport there would not be stamps from the previous country in it. This sometimes raises suspicion with immigration and causes them to demand the presentation of the other passport). So, ultimately, anything CAN happen, she CAN be denied entry, but I would say that the chances of this are pretty low. To raise the probability of success tell her to try to enter through France or Italy — or anywhere else that is not Switzerland or Germany.

How can a Schengen visa be extended?

howdy wade -another australian schengen question…we have 4 months planned in europe,3 of which are to send our 12 year old to school in finland.I don’t know how to extend the visa to allow us to travel for the first month before school starts and I have been told we will be fined on leaving to come back to australia.Any tips!!??!

It is my understanding that there is currently no viable way to extend a tourist visa to the 25 country Schengen zone. If you would like to stay in the region for your specified amount of time — 4 months — they there is little other option than to overstay your visa, which could lead to a fine or a 3 year ban to this part of Europe.

Keep in mind that the immigration policies of the Schengen zone are currently (Feb. 2011) very inconsistently enforced, with some countries in the zone punishing visa violations with an iron fist (Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands) while others don’t seem to regard visa overstays in the least (Italy). This inconsistency creates a very precarious landscape for the traveler looking to stay in this part of Europe for over 90 days in a 180 day period. It is my advice to not overstay this visa, even though many travelers seem to get away with doing so. In point, unless exiting the region from Germany or Switzerland — where being caught is almost definite — you can not predict if you will be busted or not for the overstay. The penalty for overstaying for even a single day is big — a 3 year ban is typical — and, in my opinion, it is not worth the risk.

It is my advice to visit England, Ireland, or another country outside of the Schengen zone for a month before your daughter begins school in Finland.

How Can I stay in Europe longer? Can I extend my visa or do a visa run?

I’m an american citizen and I overstayed my permit to stay in Italy for a month already. I want to know if can ask for an extension or I just can go back to USA and come back in Italy to get a new permit to stay?

Nope. The Schengen tourist visa cannot be extended. Visa runs to nearby countries are also non-applicable as you need to be outside of the region for at least 90 days out of the 180 days since your first entry to be given a new visa. As you have already used up your 90 days (and more) you will need to be outside of the Schengen zone for at least 90 days before being legally readmitted.

Keep in mind that I say legally readmitted, as many immigration officials in the region seem to not really care too much about upholding their own laws and occasionally allow travelers to reenter the Schengen region without being out for the specified amount of time. Keep in mind that you can get busted for this at another time in another country, so even if you do get back in this is no guarantee that it will not come back to bite you. As I write this (March 2011), Italy is one of the more lax countries of the region — though can still bust you if they deem fit. Whatever you do, do not try to exit from Germany, Switzerland, or the Netherlands.

Can I return to the Schengen zone after an unpunished overstay?

I overstayed in the Schengen 3 years- I have one stamp on my passport coming into Amsterdam- and one stamp flying out of Iceland. I was questioned but I wasn’t punished. I received a normal stamp on my passport and was told that what I had done would have gotten me banned or fined somewhere else. They took a copy of my passport and told me not to come back in the area for 90 days. I asked them if I was in trouble and what would happen now. They said nothing- I go home. My questions is this… On my passport I’ve got 2 stamps obivously showing I have overstayed. I have been gone for 90 days as of today and I want to go back in 2 months time. Should I get a new passport to hide the stamps? Since I wasn’t banned or punished (as far as I know) I won’t be flagged in the system. Or should i just leave it? I want to know if it’s possible and likely for me to get punished for overstaying when I try and come back.

Anything is possible in immigration in terms of the reasons why you can be denied. But, on the grounds of receiving hundreds of testimonies from travelers who have overstayed their Schengen visas each year, it is not my impression that the “lost passport” trick works as well as you think it should. I it is my impression that the Schengen authorities are relying much more on what pops up on their computer screens when you attempted to enter rather than what is in your passport. I would be more concerned that they logged you in as an overstayer without your knowledge and your details are in the SIS — you mentioned they took a copy of your passport.

Dutch immigration has a reputation for being very inconsistent and seemingly disorganized in terms of dealing with visa overstayers. Many travelers find that they are told one thing (it is OK to travel, you are not in the system) just to find out that it is not true. Take what the immigration inspectors from the Netherlands tell you worth a grain of salt.

In terms of advice, now that you will have been out of the Schengen region for five months, I say just return as you normally would and avoid passing through German or Swiss immigration. Also, it would be wise to avoid overstaying again.

When I am traveling in the schengen zone (even by plane) will each country be checking my passport?

No, think of the Schengen countries like the states of the USA in regards to immigration. On internal flights there should be no immigration checks. The airlines will check your passport, but this should just be for identification purposes. Though keep in mind that there may be rare exceptions to this rule — this whole Schengen thing is a nightmare of inconsistencies.

Is the UK part of the Schengen Zone, can I go to England on a Schengen visa?

Hello,am michael by name, i have been living in Germany with Schengen Visa,can i travel to England with my Schengen visa with out apply for England Visa

No, the UK is NOT a part of the Schengen zone and requires a separate visa to enter.

Can I return to the Schengen Zone multiple times on the same visa, even if my return flight is after the 90 day total?

Here is my problem, I am a Canadian citizen (so I can stay 90 days in the schengen area) and I have already, in the past few months, stayed for 28 days in the schengen area. Recently I have booked another flight for another 63 days in a schengen area country (total = 91 days). My first question is will they be able to tell, when my passport is stamped, that I will be overstaying or will they only be able to tell that I’ve overstayed when I leave? And if they are able to tell could I simply tell them that I plan on leaving to a non-schengen country for a few days (namely the UK) and therefore not be overstaying (I really am planning on going to the UK, by the way)?
It is my impression that you are free to reenter the Schegen Zone. But, as you have previously pointed out, you will be on your visa from your previous 28 day stay. While it is true that if you did stay for another 63 days you would be over the marker by a single day and have technically overstayed, I would not worry about this too much in terms of boarding your flight and making it through entry immigration. Though keep in mind that you could face problems when trying to leave — avoid a flight path that exits from Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands — so try to plan that jaunt to the UK in the middle of your travels in Europe. Doing this will bring your Schengen total down to within legal limits.

How to remove a ban after being caught overstaying?

Dear Wade, I have already mentioned. But it was confirmed I am on a banned schengen zone list, what are the steps in order to get off that list ? It was processed in the netherlands, which I assume will be impossible and I will probably loose my job due to the extensive travel requirements associated with. Any help and or information would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you !

We have received reports of people trying all methods possible to get off the Schengen banned list — from calling an nagging to suing. To my knowledge none of them have worked very well. The only thing that it seems as if you can do is wait three years and hope. A truly sorry state of affairs, but the administration of the Schengen zone takes a hard line towards visa overstayers, and does not seem to offer ways to remove a ban.

Although, it seems to be a crap shoot as to what happens if you show up in the Schengen region after being banned. Some travelers report being let in, others report being denied, while some say that they were let in once, twice, three times, and then deported on the forth attempt.

My advice is to wait three years — this seems to be enough time to get your record out of the system. Keep in mind that not even the immigration authorities themselves in the Schengen zone seem to know how to really get your name out of the SIS, and their advice can only be taken for what it is worth — and from the experience of many who have gone before you this is not that much.

More on the Schengen area and visa

Comments on this page are closed

To ask a European visa question go to Ask Schengen visa questions.

Do you have a Schengen visa question?

If so, then take a look at our Schengen visa community forum. It’s a community just for people who have questions or concerns related to Europe’s Schengen immigration zone.


The only way I can continue my travels and publishing this blog is by generous contributions from readers. If you can, please subscribe for just $5 per month:


If you like what you just read, please sign up for our newsletter!
* indicates required
Filed under: Europe, Schengen Zone, Visas

About the Author:

I am the founder and editor of Vagabond Journey. I’ve been traveling the world since 1999, through 91 countries. I am the author of the book, Ghost Cities of China and have written for The Guardian, Forbes, Bloomberg, The Diplomat, the South China Morning Post, and other publications. has written 3717 posts on Vagabond Journey. Contact the author.

Support VBJ’s writing on this blog:

VBJ is currently in: New York City

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • Edith February 28, 2011, 10:50 pm

    thanks very much – i have spoken to the finnish embassy here in australia and he says that they are strict there too…will pass on any info i find out about possibilities to extend – although not sounding too possible…how ridiculous indeedie!

  • Ashley March 28, 2011, 3:05 am

    Thank you so much for all your information! I have a similar questions. I previously overstayed in Schengen by 2 years- (I’ve been gone for half a year out of the area) but now I’d like to fly and visit Turkey. My flight will have a plane switch in either UK or Schengen zone.

    Will they hassle me because of the overstay even though I’m not staying in that area? I wasn’t banned or anything. Will they stamp my passport there- or not till Turkey?

    and the other question was- I’d also like to visit the UK area. I’ve heard they can deny entry if people from Schengen fly into the UK and send them back to the country they overstayed.
    If I’ve been gone for half a year- and I’m coming from the U.S.- will they deny me entry? Or report me in the SIS system?

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com March 28, 2011, 1:50 pm


      As your flight is just transferring in the UK or Schengen Europe, you more than likely will not need to go through immigration. Be sure to proceed to the flight transfer area, not immigration.

      Typically, the UK will only return an overstayer if they are flying directly from the Schengen region where ad when they overstayed the visa. I think it is beyond the bounds of the imagination for them to deport you to a country that you have bee out of for over a year. Though they do have the provocative to deny you entry — but they can deny anyone for any reason (or lack thereof). So I would not let this deter you.

      Overstayers are usually reported to the SIS as they are being penalized for the overstay or exiting the region. I have not yet received a report from someone who was logged into the SIS a year after the fact. When you return to Schengen Europe just avoid going through German or Swiss immigration and you should be fine.

  • n. April 5, 2011, 6:40 am

    i have a similar question to the one about the israeli passport.
    i have an australian and israeli passport.
    if i travel from israel with my israeli passport through czech, poland and hungary, can i then enter croatia with my australian passport and then continue my trip to greece with my australian, and get a full 90 days with my australian passport?
    hope that makes sense
    thanks in advance

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com April 7, 2011, 7:25 pm

      The catch with using two passports for an overland journey is that often an immigration official will want to see the exit stamp from the previous country and the country you just exited will want to see the entry stamp before stamping you out. If your stamps do not match in a regular chain (with exit stamps to match entry stamps and vice versa) there is a good chance that there will be questions and you will be asked to produce the passport that has the previous entry and/ or exit stamps.

      So if your plan is to use both passports in order to try to get more time in Schengen Europe I recommend using your Israeli passport to get out of Hungary then go to Serbia using your Australian one. If you are questioned about why you don’t have an exit stamp from Hungary in your passport then show the Israeli one and make up some story about how you must continue your journey with your Australian one or some other such nonsense. Just make sure to have the Serbian stamp go into the Australian passport. Then use this passport to go to Bosnia then Croatia — or whatever route of travel you choose — on your way to Greece. If the Australian passport is full of Balkan stamps I doubt that they immigration official is going to take the time to connect them all back to Hungary. Though Greece immigration has proven to be rather strict.

  • anish April 11, 2011, 5:32 am

    me and my wife are from india…
    we had recently got shcengen visa … however due to certain unavoidable reasons we shall not be able to utilise it (the visa expires on 10 May) … is there any in which we could get the visa extended without goin through the whole procedure again or wihtout making the payment again..
    warm regards

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com April 11, 2011, 1:46 pm

      It is my impression that you need to apply again. But ask the consulate which granted you the visa to be sure.

  • masoud April 17, 2011, 10:17 am

    If the answer after the Schengen visa over 40 days must be handled with a call where Atrbsh Embassy in Tehran because no follow-up does not?

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com April 17, 2011, 12:04 pm

      Sorry, but your English does not make much sense here. Could you please ask your question again after having someone check your grammar?

  • Diyaree April 29, 2011, 6:51 pm

    I have got a schengen visa from France embassy (including Germany also), can I fly directly from I raq to Germany without entering France?

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com May 2, 2011, 7:11 pm

      Generally, a tourist visa is good for the entire Schengen zone, though I would double check with the French consulate in your case.

  • mw May 3, 2011, 8:58 am

    Thank you Wade for all your advice and helpful messages. Here is a straightforward question that I haven’t managed to figure out the answer to:

    If I have a 6 month residence permit in EU MS, am I eligible for a 90-day tourist visa once the residence permit expires? North American citizen here.


    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com May 3, 2011, 12:56 pm

      No, for a residency permit in one Schengen country you are given 90 days in other countries in the zone during the duration of the permit. To not overstay, you need to be out of the region before your residency permit expires.

      • mw May 3, 2011, 3:43 pm

        Hrm, I see – thank you! If I were to leave the Schengen zone entirely, and then come back after a few weeks… as I understand it, I would be denied a tourist visa on the grounds that I had already been in Schengen for 6 months on a residence permit? In short, I would have to leave for at least 90 days after the expiration of the residence permit before coming back as a tourist? :}

        • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com May 3, 2011, 4:56 pm

          There are some grey areas in terms of how long you need to wait outside of the zone if changing visa types. If you are changing from a residency permit to a tourist C visa you may be allowed to return right away. Ultimately, this will be left up to the interpretation of the rules by the particular customs official you get upon reentry.

  • pamela May 10, 2011, 3:51 pm

    Hi Wade – Thanks for a great post. I’m an American and am planning to stay in France for 90 days or less later this year. Since it sounds like the UK is not part of the Schengen Zone (correct?) is it a problem for me to go to the UK after my time in France and stay there for an additional length of time on their separate, non-Schengen visa? From what I’ve read online (which may be outdated now, I realize), entering the UK with a US Passport will likely issue me a 6 month tourist visa. I don’t intend to stay in the UK that long, but I’d sure love the option of spending the 90 day limit of my Schengen visa in France as planned and then be able to hang out in London for a bit before deciding where to go next (non-Schengen ‘somewhere’).

    So basically my question is: will this work legally? Go to France for 90 days or less. Then go to the UK afterward for a bit.

    Thanks a bunch!

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com May 10, 2011, 3:58 pm

      Correct, the UK is not a part of the Schengen zone and in no way does time there count towards your Schengen total. Typically, travelers with US passports will receive a 6 month tourist visa to the UK on arrival.

  • Kyle May 26, 2011, 12:55 pm

    I arrived in Prague in October and applied for my long-term residency visa. I have the stamp in my passport marked in January, but for various reasons, I will not be able to make it back to pick up the actual visa. I am backpacking through the Schengen countries right now and plan on going to the UK in July from Holland. Do you think I will have any problems? I heard that the application stamp only lasts another 90 days, meaning that violating my stay should have started in April. If I explain that I applied for my visa but don’t plan on living in Schengen anymore, which is why I haven’t gone to pick it up, they will let me off the hook?

    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com May 26, 2011, 2:21 pm

      Yeah, you can tell them anything you want, but there is a good chance that it won’t do you much good. There are no real explanations here — an overstay is still an overstay no matter what the excuse is. There is a reasonable chance that you will be caught while exiting the region from the Netherlands and perhaps banned from re-entry. There is no telling if you will be caught or not — some travelers are while others are not — but the Netherlands is one of the stricter countries in the regions on visa overstays. It seems to me that your options are returning to the Czech Republic, getting the visa, then leaving, or risk being caught for the overstay and perhaps banned from re-entry to the entire Schengen zone for three years.

      Pretty awful immigration set up, no?

  • Munish June 6, 2011, 2:17 pm

    i have valid schengen tourist visa for 30 days but with single entry , pl suggest can i travel to all 25 countries on this Single Entry Schengen Tourist Visa.

    • VJT Guides June 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

      If you are able to travel to 25 countries in 30 days, then it should be fine.

      • Munish June 6, 2011, 2:22 pm

        thanks VJT , so on signle entry visa i can travel mutiple countries , i mean i can stay for 10 days in France , 10 days in Germany and 10 days in swizerland , correct.

  • Mehrnaz June 8, 2011, 5:28 pm

    I, have got a VISA to enter Italy to attend in a scientific congress. Duration of VISA is 7 days. I got air ticket with these characteristics:
    Entry to Italy: 14th July 2011, Friday, 10 am
    Leaving Italy: 21th July,Friday, 6 pm

    Is there any problem with my ticket? Is it Overstaying?

    • VJT Guides June 9, 2011, 1:23 pm

      This is a one day overstay.

  • jennifer June 13, 2011, 3:42 pm

    hi wade. i have read alot of visa questions and would like to ask one of mine. im american visiting italy. my 3months is almost up and i have no way of finding out if i can extend my stay for another three months. so my question is this, can i extend my visa or do what i understand as a VISA RUN to maybe germany and then come back to italy? thank you

    • VJT Guides June 13, 2011, 3:54 pm

      Hello Jennifer,

      There is no such thing as a visa run anymore for the Schengen region — for every 90 days you spend inside the region you must spend at least 91 outside. All 25 member states function as one big federation in terms of immigration. So in terms of visas, think of each country of the Schengen zone as a “state” that is part of a larger “country.” So going to Germany will not do you any good, because Germany is part of the same federation, and, therefore, time spent in Italy counts towards time in Germany. Also, there is no way to extend a tourist visa, you must leave the region completely for at least 91 days before returning.

  • Greg Gruner June 20, 2011, 10:58 am

    This is a query on behalf of a Colombian friend. She has a visa for Britain but not a Schengen visa. She has booked on a package tour from Bogota to Israel, and intends to leave this tour at Madrid on the return flight and fly to London. Unfortunately she has been told she needs a Schengen visa even to transfer planes at Madrid airport? Is this so? And how could she get a Schengen visa as she has no intention to stay in a Schengen country, only in England. The same problem applies on her return as she is booked on an Avianca flight from Madrid to Bogota.

    • VJT Guides June 20, 2011, 11:30 am

      Tell her to go to the Spanish consulate and ask there. Yes, she will need a transit visa if she wants to leave the airport in Madrid and may need one even to transfer flights.

  • Thiago July 12, 2011, 8:34 pm

    I have a question that you guys may be able to help me. I am staying 85 days on the Shenghen are and than doing a 15 days trip to croatia (not-Shenghen) and will flight from there straight to the UK. When I was planning my flight back home from the UK I saw that most of the flights will have a connection in an Shenghen country. My question is, those the days I stay in Croatia and UK counts as Shenghen days or not? And if the do, do you think that I connection can cause me any trouble?

    • VJT Guides July 12, 2011, 10:52 pm

      No, they don’t count.

  • Kimberly July 20, 2011, 10:56 am

    Hi there,

    how do i find out if i was put in the sis system? i overstayed – in iceland they copied my passport but didn’t have me fill anything out – just explained the new rules of europe and wished me a bon voyage. for three years i’ve been going in and out with no problems staying 3/6/9 months at a time – argh. i’m supposed to return in 3 weeks…! i have an apartment, cat the whole enchilada in paris so i’d really like to know if i’ve now been flagged to figure out what to do next …thanks!

    • VJT Guides July 20, 2011, 12:12 pm

      Call a European consulate to find out.

  • Beth July 29, 2011, 7:12 pm

    Hi Wade,

    Thank you so much for all the useful information. I am from a visa free country in South America, amnd currently in Greece to do a p[rofessional diving course that takes 5 months. When I went to the Greek Embassy in my country, the consul told me all I could do was come on my 90 day permit, and one month before I should go to the police in Greece and ask for a 3 month extension. So all this week aftert much bureaucracy and running around, I am now being told an extension is not possible. Someone at my consulate told me that turkey would work as a visa run… do you think it would work?
    On a separate note, my boyfriend is Belgian so we are actually considerimng getting married, would i have to leave Schengen within the 90 days even if we did? or wopuld that buy us additional time?

    Thank you!

    • VJT Guides July 29, 2011, 8:52 pm

      Hello Beth,

      There is a lot of misconceptions about being able to extend tourist visas in the Schengen zone. Like in your case, many consulates are telling people that this is possible, but, except for a few rare cases that have been reported to me, this is generally not possible.

      Doing a visa run to Turkey would be a moot point, as when you returned you would be on the same visa (which lasts for 180 days regardless of how many times you exit or enter). If you went to Turkey for 91 days, you could return for a fresh 90 in the Schengen zone, but this would mean taking a rather long break from your diving course.

      It is often possible to get what amounts to a fiance visa which allows for a long term stay in the Schengen zone prior to marriage, but this generally needs to be applied for from your home country.

      Keep in mind that Greece tends to be one of the strictest countries in the entire region on overstays — often given massive (2,000+ Euro) fines as well as extended bans — so I would not recommend overstaying.

      Rather, it may be best to play everything by the rules, leave the region for 91 days, then return to finish your course if you still can. A ban from the Schengen region could be problematic if you intent to move there and get married.

  • Georgia Karabelas August 11, 2011, 11:31 am

    Hi Wade,

    I am a bit late to jump on the bandwagon but I have another question for you,

    I am a U.S. citizen and was able to get a visa-free extension in Denmark for 9 days on grounds of finishing my research paper (total of 99 days in Schegen). This extension is only valid for Denmark but 6 of those days I will be in Iceland on my way back to the states. From what I have read in the comments above, on an internal flight from Denmark to Iceland my passport won’t be checked, albeit for identity purposes. Is this true?

    I may encounter problems on the way out of Iceland, seeing as my extension is only valid for Denmark and Iceland does not have an option for visa-free extension. From reading previous comments I have also learned that Iceland borders are not very strict when exiting the country, would it be stupid to assume that border officials will not know that my visa-extension does not apply to Iceland (as it does not say anywhere that it is not valid for other Schegen areas)?

    • VJT Guides August 12, 2011, 10:10 pm

      Thanks for telling me about the extension for Denmark. Yeah, it is not my impression that your Danish extension will do you too much good in Iceland, but Iceland is not the strictest of countries for exiting. We have received reports of them filing away data on overstayers (which could lead to a long ban from the region) but we have also received reports of the immigration officials just giving warnings or not mentioning anything at all.

  • Sam November 27, 2011, 11:34 pm

    Hi there,

    Thanks so much for putting this info out there. Its super helpful to have someone explain all our questions. So to add to the list, I am a Canadian traveler currently living out my 90 days on the Schengen road. When it expires in January, I’ll have to leave for 90 days. Is it possible to return on a student visa?

  • Zaman December 6, 2011, 12:33 pm

    Dear all friend i apply the visa more then 10 days in dubai for travel to Italy but i didn’t get any response from the consulate of Italy visa has been approved or refused,
    Please can you tell me Italy visa is too strict or normal one my document are full complete but i m not shore i can get or no please advice me for the get the visa,

  • Lenny December 19, 2011, 1:02 pm

    I am from India had a schengen visa from Netherlands Embassy for 15 days due to some personal problems i was not able travel for first seven days of my visa, so i changed my plan i bought a flight ticket for Lisbon via Brussels.
    On Brussels airport Immigration officer told me that i cant travel to Lisbon
    because my visa was issued from Netherlands embassy so i have to travel Netherlands first and than to Lisbon, Immigration officer deport me saying that my first port should be Netherlands.
    My question is can i apply for schengen visa again will i am going to get a visa,if i got a visa is there going to be any problem on airport.

    • Vagabond Journey Guides December 30, 2011, 6:59 pm

      In case anyone else in wondering, the immigration officer interpreted the rules correctly: if you have a visa issued by a particular Schengen country you mush enter through this country.

      Yes, I think it would be fine for you to apply for a Schengen visa again, or at least worth a try.

  • Avataris January 12, 2012, 8:14 pm

    Hi. I am a Macedonian citizen and I am banned from entering Greece. I recently received Bulgarian citizenship. My question is now whether as a Bulgarian citizen can travel to countries in the Schengen zone.

    • tinaa March 21, 2012, 8:40 am

      Hi, wonder if you have the answer to this one. I am Australian, my Australian defactor partner has work permit for Belgium. I am being processed to stay 5weeks over the 90 day visa but they think it will not be finalized before we even leave in June. Do hour think I will be penalized for overstaying on exit to the usa if I have all my documents that are technically still not processed.?

  • pat January 15, 2012, 8:54 am

    hi my name is pat and an planning to visit europe around april for about 5 months. If i was to go to europe at the end of january for only a couple of days then travel back home to Australia, would i be correct in saying that this would start my first 180 day period. Then later returned in april to finish the end of the 180 day period but would only be 3 or 4 days into my allowed 90 day in the schengen region. So when my 90 days were up my 180 days would also be up and i could simply leave the schengen region for a day and return with a brand new 180 period with 90 more days to spend in the schengen region ???? do you think this would work because i am willing to spend an extra airfair to have 6 months in a row in the schengen region ???

    • Vagabond Journey Guides January 16, 2012, 4:42 pm

      No, this is not correct. From any given day that you are in the Schengen count back 180 days. Then add up how many days you were inside of the zone during this time. You can stay up to 90 in any given 180 day period. In your case, estimate the day you plan to finally leave the Schengen, then count back 180 days from this point, if you are going to be in the region for over 90 days you are going to overstay. Leaving after 180 days from your first entry and then returning for another 180 day visa will not work.

  • rich January 15, 2012, 10:46 pm

    Please I really need help I was issue a 6month multiple visa fir Portugal and they stated on it duration of stay 30 days and I am using a south African passport b4 the 30 days I left through Germany to Ireland I was refuse entry ( I enter Europe through Portugal) so I came back to Germany again so what I want to know is will I start the 30 days again or continue the remaining from the fitter time I enter please help me my email address is rduma49@yahoo.com

    • Vagabond Journey Guides January 16, 2012, 4:38 pm

      It seems to me that you only have 30 days total. It is not my impression that the time starts again for your visa upon re-entry.

  • Victor January 16, 2012, 5:06 pm

    Hey Wade,

    Awesome site and super helpful! I have a dual citizenship from Colombia and USA. My question is: *United States is a schengen visa free country, but Colombia is required to have a visa to visit a Schengen country (in this case Spain)* If I travel from the US to Spain, can I just enter on my US passport, or will I be required to show my Colombian passport as well (since it says I was born in Colombia) and be required a visa?

    Thanks again for putting up such a great resource!

    – Victor.

    • Vagabond Journey Guides January 16, 2012, 5:30 pm

      Yes, just show the USA passport. Leave the Colombia one at home, it’s not going to do you much good. If you have a US passport then you are a citizen of the USA, and that’s all you need to say.

      • Victor January 16, 2012, 6:49 pm

        Super! Thanks!

  • Muriam January 18, 2012, 11:15 am

    Hi – I have a quick question for you and would really really appreciate it if you could help me out. I’m an American PhD student who is going to France for a year to do my research, but I haven’t yet gotten the Long term carte de sejour. Would it be possible for me to get it from London? Does anyone know how strict the French are these days about over staying the 3 month visa?


  • Gaby January 18, 2012, 11:43 am

    Hey.. My friend is a thai girl.. She merry in French and have French residency until 2020.. Also she have schengen visa for 2020.. Is she allowed to travel all europe all the time? Or can she only stay 90 days and then have to go back France?

    – Gaby

  • Cori January 19, 2012, 7:02 am

    Hello there–I entered Austria with a US passport as a tourist a month ago and received an entry stamp from passport control in Germany. I am a dual citizen born in the US to an Austrian parent so I also have an Austrian passport with me. I’ve decided I’d like to stay and declare residency here but I’m uncertain if this will be considered “overstaying” in my US passport. I plan to return to the US, using a US passport, but maybe not until 2013.

    Thanks for taking the time to look at my question 🙂

    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 1, 2012, 6:32 pm

      Why in the world would you enter Austria with your US passport if you’re an Austrian citizen? This seems incredibly odd to me, and, for some countries, this is illegal. If you have an Austrian passport you can stay in the EU for as long as you want without needing to do anything else. When you exit the region just be sure to use your Austrian passport.

  • Aaron January 19, 2012, 6:12 pm

    Hi friend, i would like to travel to germany but would like to apply for uk visa as well since i want to go london before returning to Nigeria. can i travel straight a head from Germany to UK after i have visited Germany. i ve Nigerian passport. thanks so much for your wonderful site.

  • Joe January 20, 2012, 7:04 pm


    Thanks for all the answers. Now this may be a weird one. I stayed in France for 90 days, came back to the States. My passport was expiring so I renewed my USA passport. Can I go back into France before 90 days with my new passport and not have a problem???


    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 1, 2012, 6:29 pm

      Technically, what you are proposing is against the rules — you need to be out of the Schengen zone for at least 90 days before returning — but if you did not overstay the first visa there should be no electronic record of your previous visit.

      • armando April 6, 2012, 4:44 pm

        Hi, I just want to ask you a quick question, I come to study to france for 2 months and 20 days, the embassy told me back at home that i didnt need a student visa if I was studying for less than 3 months and that i can entering with a tourist one, but now I would like to be traveling for 1 month month in the EU, what can I do?? is it possible for me to stay and travel for one month more, or go out for some days to a country outside the schengen area and comeback ?

  • Nikki January 24, 2012, 5:51 am

    Hi there,
    I am an Australia who spent 3 months in France last year. Whilst over there, I got a job offer in Paris. I found out that it was impossible to obtain a French visa in France, so I returned to Australia just 3 weeks ago. My interview is next week with the French consulate, and I was wondering whether you think I will be granted a long-stay visa having only been out of the schaingan zone for 21 days?
    It is a very expensive procedure so would love your advice as per what to do?
    Thank you for your insight.

    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 1, 2012, 6:27 pm

      It should not be a problem to change your visa status (type of visa) and then return.

  • dave1978 January 27, 2012, 9:31 pm

    hi there. i am eu citizen live and work in germany. my iraqi national wife and my child apply for german tourist visa in german embassy in ankara ,turky , to joing me in germany ,how long is to take procissing time,please thank you so much for ur reply.

  • haji February 1, 2012, 7:20 pm

    I have schengen visa from Belgium type C and I live in UK and now I am in Norway, Can I return to UK without travel to Belgium? Is there a problem for future if I apply to schengen visa again?

    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 1, 2012, 7:31 pm

      The UK is not a part of the Schengen zone. Technically, the first Schengen country you enter should be the one you have a visa for. After entering through this country you are free to travel to the rest of the Schengen states. Norway could have denied you entry, as your visa was issued by Belgium and you should have entered there first. Yes, if you have a UK visa you can return to the UK without going to Belgium. I doubt that you will have problems applying for another Schengen visa based on this relatively minor infraction.

  • mary February 4, 2012, 6:11 pm

    I am travelling to Switzerland from US on March 6,2012 and returning on March 13, 2012. My passport expires on Sept 12 2012. I am hesitating to give it up now to renew it now that it is so close to my dates with only one day over 6 months to expiration from travel date departure. We will be going through Italy and Germany on the airline itinerary. Will my passport be OK with that expriation date if I don’t renew it now? Some literature I’ve been reading says 3 months to expiration is OK while others say 6 months.


    Mary Crescenzo

  • Gaurav February 6, 2012, 10:51 pm

    Hi, I am a student at the University of Northampton, England. I am from India (my Nationality is Indian)and arrived in UK in Sept 2011, My student visa is valid for 3 years and Indian passport, valid for 10years.
    I will be going to a 3 day trip to Paris in April 2012(12th april to 15th april). Also, I plan to goto Spain in july(4th for 19th july). I have read many website articles saying that I need to apply in the embassasy of the country where I stay longer. I dont know how to do all this, as I have no idea if I will be able to apply as some websites said that I can apply only about 6 weeks before departure. But spain i will go in July, and Paris in April. I know i need a multi entry schengen visa, which is valid for 6 months. I just dont know the procedure. How to apply, how it will work, when to apply? what documents I need? I need help, PLEASE support me

    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 10, 2012, 3:58 pm

      You need to get a visa for the first Schengen country that you plan to visit on your trip. To do this go in person to the consulate of that country and ask them directly what you need.

  • tiaku yondoh roland February 9, 2012, 11:27 am


    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 10, 2012, 3:57 pm

      Kosovo is not a part of the Schengen zone.

  • Traveler February 9, 2012, 5:32 pm

    Hi there. I have an Indian passport staying in UK with Residence permit. Last year I got Schengen tourist visa issued by Netherlands for the period of 20 days and maximum stay is for 5 days (between Feb and March). I stayed in Netherlands for 3 days and in France for 3 days, when I tried to leave France, immigration person denied to provide exit stamp as I have overstayed by 1 day. Now I am applying for Schengen tourist visa for Italy trip, will I have any problem? Thanks.

    • Vagabond Journey Guides February 10, 2012, 3:57 pm

      There is a chance that you are banned from reentry to the Schengen region. Check with the French consulate to find out.

  • rakesh manandhar February 10, 2012, 11:42 pm

    i am working in london and i have schengen visa to netherland and i would like to visit to lisbon ,is it possible?
    thank you

  • Jimbo February 12, 2012, 6:01 pm

    I am leaving for Europe this Spring to trek the GR5 Holland to Nice over 4.5 months. A US citizen, I attempted to obtain a long term visa from France the country of majority stay. However after compiling all the information documents a several month effort yielded only frustration -3 different US French consulates said I do not need a long term visa since I am in France less then 90 days and legally they cannot give me one . They quote a treaty with US and France from the ’40s and said this:
    ” there is a special rule between France and United States, allowing US citizen to stay 90 days in France even if they have already stayed 90 days in others Schengen countries.(“Echange de notes constituan un accord entre les Etats Unis d’Amérique et la France relatif au tarif des visas de passeport, Paris 16 et 31 mars 1949”)
    The caveat is you must be 90 days or less in the Schengen outside of France then enter France for another 90 days of less . It doesn’t work going the other direction as the treaty isn’t with other zone countries. And the other countries don’t seem to recognize this even exists. (What a bizarre collection of rules).

    So for the trek we are ok – leaving from Nice less then 90 days in France. But we stop over in Iceland for three days on the way back to the states.
    So the question is- with a orderly departure from France and a brief interlude in Turkey, is there any strong reason to be concerned stopping over in Iceland – a mellow bunch in my previous experience there?


  • eddy February 12, 2012, 7:43 pm

    i am a nigerian with one year permit of stay in italy,and my german girlfriend says i should come and look for job over there in germany.is it possible for me to use my one year permit of stay here in italy .to find a job there in germany?

  • SHEH February 14, 2012, 3:45 pm

    i am traveling to germany as i have german visa for business. From there i have a flight to italy and i will exit from italy. Is it ok if i leave the schengen states from italy in the time specified for stay?


  • Wanderlust_ed February 16, 2012, 9:47 am

    Hi…I am a US Citizen and was in Europe for a total of 2 weeks between 25 Nov and 20 Dec (I was in Turkey for 12 days and London 2 days). I plan to go France on 31 March until mid June – which would technically equal the 90 days (including the 2 weeks in Nov). If I understand it correctly, I’m able to stay in the Schengen countries for 90 days within a 6 month period. My 6 month period ends on 25 May (assuming it ends based on the day I first arrived in a Schengen country). Does that mean starting 26 May, I have another 90 days I can stay?

    Thanks for the help…

  • Bret February 16, 2012, 7:37 pm

    I’m living in Spain on a students visa but it expires in march, and my university doesn’t end till may. I went to the office of foreigners here and they won’t extend my visa because it’s a 6 month visa.
    I don’t know how strict passport control is here in Spain… And everything would be fine, but I have my dog here and I’m taking her back to the US with me in June…
    I just want to make sure that I am not held here in Spain and have her lost in some airport in the us. Also, is there any way I can get another visa? Through my uni I’m doing an internship with a company and I was going to try and ask them for papers to get a work visa. What is best for me to do? Or shall I just play it by ear and hope I don’t get caught?

  • Confused February 18, 2012, 12:30 am

    Hi Wade,

    I have a valid 6 month multiple entry Schengen visa which was issued by the French Consulate in UK (I currently am resident in the UK) which is valid till May 2012. I have already made my trip to France (5 days) in December and am back in UK. I wish to go to Italy for a short holiday (6 days) in April. Can I go directly to Italy on the same visa or do I need to cancel it and apply for a new one at the Italian consulate?? or do I need to go through France only?

  • Katie February 18, 2012, 5:15 pm

    Hi Wade,

    I’m American and overstayed my Greek tourist visa 7mos and I have been told by a lawyer here I will have to pay a 1200 euro fine and stay out for 6 months. I see on one of the previous posts I need to stay out 91 days for every 90 days overstayed, but since my overstay is longer than 180 days, do i have to stay out longer than 182 days? Also, i was wondering if I can go to the UK and stay for the 182 days since it’s not a Schengen country, then be ok to travel to Shengen.

  • Wanderlust_ed February 20, 2012, 8:11 pm

    Hi there…I’m a US Citizen who was arrived in Vienna on 26 Nov ’11. From there, I left Munich on 27 Nov (stamp on passport) and spent 2 weeks in Istanbul, then 4 days in Amsterdam (stamp on passport), 7 days in Barcelona (stamp on passport), then 2 days in London, leaving London back to US on 20 Dec. I plan arrive in Paris on 31 March ’12 with hopes to be in schengen zone for 90 days. My 6 month period expires in May ’12. Do I get another 90 days in June ’12? Please advise..thanks!

  • Nationcatcher February 21, 2012, 10:50 pm

    Hello, my mother, a US passport holder, just returned to the States from Romania, where my husband and I are currently living for work reasons, but she was stopped on the way out, fined and denied reentry for 180 days, due to an overstay of 45 days. Do you think she could slip back into Romania next week with a new passport? It sounds too easy, but I had to ask just in case…thanks in advance for any advice you have.
    PS. Her first port of entry is the UK (transit flight).

  • charlene February 22, 2012, 10:33 am

    hi my schengan visa for italy has been denied can i re apply would it be successful the second time?

  • rafael February 23, 2012, 2:27 am

    Hi there,

    I have a problem as well. I am a brazilian citizen and i have overstayed in the UK for over 5 years with a 6months stamp. But my passaport has expired and i have acquired new one without a stamp. Is there any chance of travelling europe without being stopped and then going back to brazil straight after i done my tour around europe?

  • Phishing February 24, 2012, 2:15 am

    Hey Wade,

    Thanks for being such a helpful guide in the onerous world of the Schengen zone. I will be studying in Germany at the beginning of August 2012 with what I presume is going to be a Schengen Visa D. My question is, can I travel in Europe within the 90 day rule with my tourist visa before I begin studying?

  • Pradip February 25, 2012, 5:47 pm

    I have a France (ETATS SCHENGEN) VISA with “GRATIS” stamp. I will do my immigration at Paris airport. Can I take the flight from Brussels to India for my return journey? visa type: C, multiple entry, remarks: maloingne

  • Laura February 28, 2012, 3:17 am

    Hi, I’m an Australian traveller and I am planning on going to Europe for 4 months.. most of that time in the Schengen area. I will be flying into and out of London (entering the Schengen area through Belgium and leaving through France), and spending some time in Croatia. It will end up being around 3-3.5 months in Schengen, but I am just wondering if it is strict to leave France to UK via the English Channel?

  • Pat Root February 28, 2012, 4:57 pm

    If I am traveling from Spain to Italy should I get a Schengen Visa and if I should which line will I then go to when I get to Italy… green, red or UK?

  • priti February 28, 2012, 7:31 pm

    hi! if i was granted the visa for say belgium but i cancel my trip and decide to go to spain instead, is that a problem? do i have to visit belgium in order to activate the visa? thanks

  • Tunde February 29, 2012, 3:44 pm

    I’m a Nigerian Student with a 3 month student Visa for Germany. I would like to know if the visa is valid for all the other Schengen member states and I can enter without any problems at the airports. Or if I will have to apply for a tourist visa to enter another Schengen country.

  • Bk March 1, 2012, 11:09 am

    Hi Wade,

    I’ve been reading through your answers to everyones’ questions and I am impressed! This is a very helpful forum. My situation: I’m Canadian, looking to stay and work in Belgium. In 2011 I was in Belgium on a working holiday visa. It expired on December 2, 2011. I went to England on the 3rd of December then came back to Belgium a couple days later, then went to Canada on the 19th of December and came back on the 4th of January (no problems with the border). Last week I went to England for a couple days and got a lot of questioning from customs. I was finally given a piece of paper to take to my city hall in order to get a temporary residency card (for three months). I am registered with the city, but they won’t give me this temporary residency card until I provide them with a work permit, which I’m in the process of getting (I have a job offer but haven’t started the process of asking for a work permit yet), but is taking ages to get (it could take another 4 months).
    So, my questions: Am I already over-staying my 90-day tourist visa? If I can start my paperwork for a work permit in the next month (going on the idea that my tourist visa started again when I came back from Canada in January), does that mean that they might allow me to over-stay my visa , as I have read elsewhere? Should I talk to the Canadian embassy in Brussels about my situation?
    Any advice you can give is really appreciated! I’m totally lost and want to go about things properly, as I really do wish to stay here for the long-run.

  • maria March 2, 2012, 11:07 am

    Hey Wade, thanks a lot for the useful information that you’ve put on the website. Really appreciate your help.

    I have a quick question. I recently received a 41 day double entry visa. I had to be in Spain on 26th of Feb (for a sales seminar hosted by our partner company in Spain) but i received my visa on 29th. I do not want my visa to go to waste so I’m planning to go to Spain on 7th of April. My visa has a validity from 28th of Feb to 11th of April and it says i have 30 days for each visit. My question is if i enter Spain on 7th can i stay 30 days from 7th of April or do i have to leave schengen zone before 11th of April? Also if i do not travel on this visa would it be considered negative when i apply the next time?

  • Marieke March 5, 2012, 2:52 pm

    I’m Dutch and my boyfriend is Mexican. He wants do visit me from September-december this year. We’re going to take a cruise to the Mediterranean for 3 weeks leaving from southampton UK. I have done this before and know that they don’t stamp your passport in any of the countries. So am I right if I say that my boyfriend can visit me for 2 months, go on a cruise and after that return to holland again with me for 1 month or will the visits to the cruiseports show electronicallynon his passport because of the checck in at the cruiseterminal un Southampton? There won’t be any stamps because we don’t need our passport anywhere, only the ones from the UK but honestly I have no idea how it works!
    Thanks for your help!!

  • ganayu March 5, 2012, 3:09 pm

    Hi, I have overstayed in UK for 1 year chasing for the person who promised to help me with my extension papers and took £3000 as payment with nothing. I am going back to my country as there is no point staying here illegaly where I can start a new life and more opportunities back home. If I want to go Saudi will they find out that I have overstayed? If I will surrender myself what are the panalties will I face?thanks

  • Phisher March 5, 2012, 8:44 pm

    Hey there Wade,

    Thanks for all the great info!
    I am an American citizen and will be studying in Germany at the end of August, presumably on a type D visa. Will I be allowed to travel in the Schengen Zone on my tourist visa before my studying begins?


  • Luna March 7, 2012, 3:07 am


    I don’t know if you can help me, this is my question:

    I am Cuban living in USA with Green Card, I applied for the schengen visa in the France consulate and I got it, now one of the countries that I am interested to visit is Spain, the funny thing is that now after I booked everything I’ve found out that Spain is asking for the passport extensions that is just only to go to Cuba. I don’t have those extensions and is too late to get them now. What would happen if I go any way to Spain ? What solution should be the best.



    P.S. I’ve been traveling others countries without any issues

  • Denise March 10, 2012, 12:09 pm

    If I am travelling to Israel via Munich and have a South African passport do I need a visa for Germany as I will only by in transit. Many thanks

  • Ashvin March 12, 2012, 8:58 pm

    Hello Wade,
    I live in Netherlands and my brother lives in Switzerland. We have Indian passport and are working professionals. We would like to invite our mother from India to stay with us for 90 days in Netherlands and 90 days in Switzerland. Is it possible for her to get Schengen visas for her stay of 180 days in total. Your reply is highly appreciated.


  • James Bonded March 13, 2012, 9:54 pm

    Hello Wade. I am from U.S. and am working in Greece, with a temporary Greek blue certificate. Have been here 10 months. My problem comes in that I would like my Taiwan girlfriend to stay here with me as I might be here 3 years. She has already stayed here with me for 70 days in the last 4 months, and my plan was for her to come here for 20 days (70 plus 20 = 90) 20 days before her 180 days is up. But then after this can I fly her to Turkey on the 180th day and then back to Greece on the 181st day which would be day 1 of the next 180 days?

    But… the real juice of my question comes as follows. I am so sick of Greek beaurocracy, and this Schengen crap that I am considering keeping her here with me illegally for 3 years. My queries are… if I do this, I understand she can’t leave, but can we still travel within the Schengen zone during this illegal 3 years to visit other countries without being picked up (flying/ driving), or will the next Schengen country we go to pick her up as being overstayed? Also if she will NOT be picked up, what is the best country to depart Schengen zone from in three years to give us best odds of not being given a big fine and not being banned for three years? Iceland? Thanks much.

  • marwan March 14, 2012, 9:54 am

    i went to germany with a schengen visa than i get married there and i get my resident permit in germany,after 5 months of my marriage i get divorced and came back to my home country.i m planning now to go for a vaccation in czech is there any problem in getting a schengen visa

  • Ramesh Kumar March 14, 2012, 7:34 pm

    Hello ,

    Great answer , i hope my question will also be answered.
    I am having an Indian Passport and staying in Finland since Jan 2011 and my current Workng Visa is expiring on 23 March 2012.I have already applied for extension of work Visa and got an acknolwdgement from Finland embassay that i have submited my extension application.

    Now my question is, If i can’t get my new VISA by 23 March 2012 can i travel to Spain and Germeny after 23 March 2012 as my new VISA is in process and i have an acknowledgement.

  • Pilgrim March 15, 2012, 7:14 pm

    Hi Wade, this is such a great resource for travellers who wish to see the EU region. I have been banned from applying for a visa in the UK for ticking the wrong box in the application form in 2008. I’ve applied for a schengen visa (entry in Italy) in 2012 and was rejected because of that issue in my UK application. Does this mean I may never travel to EU ever because of that mistake in my UK application? This would be really sad, since I really love seeing historical places. Thanks!

  • sudesh March 16, 2012, 4:06 am

    I have a 5-year type C schengen visa issued by the Belgium consulate. I need to renew my passport, do i need to transfer the visa or is ok to just carry my old passport with me when travelling in europe?

  • Hannah F-P March 19, 2012, 8:50 am

    I am in Germany on an au-pair visa. My contract with the family is terminating on April 9th. The cheapest plane ticket I can find is for April 20th. Will staying those extra 11 days be a problem? Is it illegal or legal? I am applying for a student visa starting in October and I don’t want to risk doing anything illegal with my au pair visa now. Is there a set amount of time you have to leave the country after an au pair visa (or any visa maybe expires? Thanks!!

  • David March 21, 2012, 12:16 pm

    Hello, my girlfriend is venezuelan And she is coming to visit me on a tourist visa for 6 month, she will be Flying Airfrance so will be in transit at Paris. Will she need a Shengen visa aswell as a uk visa ? If so will she get them both on the same application at the embassy in Venezuala ?

  • Tiffany March 21, 2012, 2:18 pm

    Hellooo Wade 🙂

    Firstly thanks for answering all these questions! Quite reliving to say the least!

    I am South African, currently in Nice; France on a multiple entry Short stay holiday visa. In my passport on the visa page it says: Valid for Shengen for 40 days, showing date from 10-03-2012 to 20-04-2012. Does that mean I have to leave before 40 days or 90 days?

    I tell you why, I am a super yacht stewardess looking for work. I have only been here a couple days and am positive I will find a permanent job before the 40 days is up. But what if I dont? With the Monaco Grand Prix and Cannes Film festival only in May I want to be on the docks if I havnt found anything yet.

    Once employed I go on a seamens book, captain will arrange transit visa when i need to briefly enter to fly home again..

    I,m just confused about the 40 day thing.. because its a 90 day visa right!?

    Thank u

  • Isaac March 22, 2012, 6:33 am

    I am an Indian, I applied for a multiple entry Schengen tourist visa but got a Schengen single entry Type C visa for Finland. I am now in Finland.

    Is there any way I can visit Sweden for few days and catch the return flight from Helsinki and use only the Helsinki airport and not entering Finland again as I have a single entry visa for Finland. PLease let me know.

  • sandra March 22, 2012, 2:05 pm

    hello sir,

    thank you so much for this forum. i would like to ask. i got married to a latvian handsome man two years ago in cyprus. bt i am a zimbabwean. currently i am in zimbabwe and would like to go and join my husband. Problem is when i was in cyprus i applied for assylum and was rejected. will that reduce my chances of getting a schengen visa???????

  • rabih March 23, 2012, 4:18 pm

    Hello just want to ask a simple question 🙂
    I got my C schengen visa 1 entry 30 days . Can i land in netherlands then visit germany then go back to netherlands before leaving to my home country ?thank you

  • Pravi March 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

    Hi Wade,

    Thank you so much, I was wondering whom to ask such complicated questions regarding visa permission. Thank god you are here.
    Me and my friend recently moved to germany on work permit however we are currently on schengen visa and registration and stamping process of work permit is under progress, now we want to visit paris for 3 days. we both got multi entry schengen visa but work permit stamping on visa is still pending as it takes 3 to 4 weeks, generally. Is it possible we can leave germany and visit paris on multi entry schengen visa? will it cause any trouble with german authorities? Do we need to take any special permission from german visa office before visiting paris?
    We both are from india


  • IndianStudent March 24, 2012, 9:31 pm

    Hi.. I am an Indian student. Willing to go to France for three months for Student Exchange program of our college. The issue is my passport and all other documents do not have my last name. Will that create any problem??

    Thanks in advance!

  • princess March 25, 2012, 12:49 am

    hi wade, i am a filipino passport holder (Philippines) and tried to apply for a schengen visa as my boyfriend wanted me to visit him and his family in france. i applied november 2011 and to my dismay, my visa was denied even though i went to the nordic july 2010 and stayed there for 28 days (did not overstay in any way). when i applied for a visa in the french embassy here in manila, i have complete papers — and i mean super complete– invitation letters from boyfriend (he was a teacher in korea at that time but he didnt renew his contract anymore after my schengen visa was denied so he is back in france), proof that he has a life in korea (he have been living there 9 years at that time and i visited him there twice 2011), atestation from his parents certified by the mayor in his town, birth certificates, proof of income from his parents, his cert of employment as well as mine, bank accounts etc–i even provided the embassy with my cert of employment, business permits, my own bank account and the works but still they denied me. since that’s the case, we have no other choice but just celebrate the holidays in Palawan, Philippines for 1 month then he went back to france. Shortly after, I applied for a UK Visa as i have a cousin there and the UK Embassy granted me with a six months multiple entry visa. Having said that, I wanted to take my chance again and apply for a schengen visa— but I am getting scared that the french embassy may deny me again. What do you think should I do? Here are some of my options:

    a. Apply again in the French Embassy here in manila before i fly to the UK.
    b. Apply in the French Embassy when I reach the UK (but I am skeptical with that as I am only holding a family tourist visa)
    c. Apply in the Norwegian Embassy in Manila as I applied to them when I went to Europe the first time.
    d. I have a dutch friend in Amsterdam and he told me he can provide me with his pay slip, invitation and proof of residence to suffice that he will be accomodating me when i go to there.

    Hope you could help me with this…. I am having sleepless nights here in the Philippines because of this already lol!

  • Sham ali March 25, 2012, 6:04 pm

    Dear ,

    i am planning to go to italy for study.upon admission i may be granted a study visa for 1 or 2 years.
    please guide me about the benefits of this visa. is it supposed to be as of Schengen visa? can i move freely to other Schengen countries like norway, austria, finland etc. by holding the italy study visa?
    for how long can i stay there? would i be entitled for work there?

    please send me details on my e-mail id.

    Sham Ali from Pakistan

  • kavya March 29, 2012, 8:46 pm

    I’m a indian citizen living currently in the US.I don’t have a green card,but i do hold a H4 dependent visa. Do I have to apply in person for the schegen visa? I’m trying to go on a school exchange trip to italy and greece.
    Thank you.

  • maryama March 30, 2012, 2:31 am

    please help asap
    i have 3months schengen visa with a 30 days and i have already traveld for 27 days on this visa before,and i am planning to travel in few days with this same visa which is still valid,i want to know if i can still travel and if the visa is still valid?as i have friends that says you can only travel for only 30 days on this 3 months visa? she has a schengen but from dutch embassy and she was refused from travelling as she has travelled on this same visa for 22 days previously.but i heard this rules does not applied to all schengen countries.

  • harry March 30, 2012, 4:12 pm

    I intend to travel 6 to 8 months from now on a Shengen visa. The problem is can i actually apply for a visa now or i have to wait around 90 days from the date i intend to travel in order to apply for the visa? since a Shengen visa is for 90 days only.

  • gaurav tripathi March 31, 2012, 9:18 am

    I have got a Portuguese student visa for 3 months in which it is nowhere written that it is a schengen visa.I have a flight to Portugal which has a layover in Switzerland.Do i need to have a transit visa for Switzerland?Is the student visa appropriate for visiting other schengen countries?

  • Didar March 31, 2012, 8:40 pm

    I have lost my Schengen visa card and I have applied for duplicate one which needs time to complete some formal process.
    I am curious to know, would that be possible to apply for Croatian visa without showing Schengen visa?? because I am living here in Vienna
    please let me know if there is any possibility


  • N Kumar April 1, 2012, 10:32 pm

    Hi Wade

    I am an Indian and on work permit to Belgium and I have got D type Belgium Visa valid till dec’2012.

    I would like to explore Switzerland (zurich) and Italy (Venice) during May’12 holiday time . Can I travel to these Schengen countries by air based on my D type visa for travel/tourism purpose (3-4days).

    Appreciate your response as I would like to plan my travel for the month of May..

    Best regards,
    N Kumar

  • jak April 3, 2012, 8:25 am

    how the police or the embassy check and find out if i was in the schengen era from before they give me another visa ?how and what things they check ???

  • PRADEEP NAIR April 3, 2012, 11:26 am

    While booking my interview for the shengen visa through the french embassy in london, I mentioned that i will be travelling on 21st of april 2012. My date of interview is on 16th april 2012. So there is only 5 days in between. Is that an issue and a probabale reason for rejection. If yes then please tell me if i should postpone my tickets now before i go to the interview, though i have mentioned as the date of travel in the online form as 21st april

  • marissa April 4, 2012, 12:52 pm

    Hi Wade

    I am an Indonesian citizen and have been living in Sydney for the last 10 years (I have a valid permanent resident status here). I am planning to visit UK (have a valid visa), France, Spain, Italy and Greece (in that order). Ideally my first point of entry will be France and France will be my main destination (8 nights vs 3 nights in other countries). I know I’m supposed to apply for schengen visa from the French Embassy, however I am going to travel on the 14th of June and there is no available appointment until the 19th of June. Do you think I can apply for the visa from another country (thinking of Switzerland as I don’t need to make an appointment to apply for visa), showing hotel confirmation and flight to Sweden for 3 nights but then actually enter in Paris? Ie. Will the French immigration refuse my entry as the Visa was issued by Switzerland. Note that I am not actually intending to go to Switzerland at all – just need to get my visa.

    Thanks heaps

  • Ray April 4, 2012, 3:57 pm

    I have 1 big question. I was granted a Schengen visa to visit France in Nov 2011, it is valid till Nov 2012. I visited France for a weekend Last month and came back to the UK. Now, my question is, I intend to visit Poland in July, do I need to go to France first? or can I just head straight to Poland with my Schengen visa as I have already visited France and had it stamped on my passport? I’d really appreciate some help here. Thanks.

  • Brennan April 5, 2012, 5:10 pm

    Hello again –

    So I am a US citizen who overstayed in France for a bit more than a month. I entered the region in September of last year, stayed in Corsica for a couple weeks then went to the UK for another three… And then reentered schengen October 1st (France) and exited Febuary 1st of this year (also France).

    While there I was caught working by the police (long story…a company gave a consultants contract that turned out to be illegal.. I never provided my full name to the authorities though so there seems to be no problem there) but I was terrified of being caught upon exit of the region. I dressed myself up like a tourist and got stamped out with zero issues at CDG airport. Since then I decided I would return (despite losing my girlfriend from Corse, another long story) and I figured this time I would get a student visa.

    To my surprise a student visa was printed in NYC through the consulat, apparently nothing alarmed them with my passport and I have a flight back this coming Sunday (April 8th). So here are my questions..

    1) should I have a problem entering assuming I overstayed my visa or should I assume since the consular cleared me and I was never put in to SIS I’m ok? Also I would like to note I asked the french embassy about the overstay and they just gave a hard time for being an American and thinking rules didn’t apply..

    2) assuming there is no issue with SIS what is the likelihood of the border guys taking much time to review my dates? Every time I ever travel it ends up being a twenty second encounter with these people anyway.. They just scan my passport, and hand it back with a smile.

    3) if I do get in without a hitch should I be worried again when I apply for my carte séjour?

    4) and Will this misshap affect any travels to Germany or any other schengen states during my residency?

    I think I’m fairly paranoid, this is very important to me and I don’t want to risk after all this visa headache and money spent, being denied entry. I know there is no way to really tell and I can’t seem to find anything online regarding my situation.. And believe me I have combed the Internet!


  • Alan April 5, 2012, 5:50 pm

    Hi Wade

    My son left in September of 2011 to go live and work in Spain.
    He is Canadian, travelling on a Canadian passport.

    Presently he has no Schengen Visa or any form of work permit for Spain and he was of the understanding that all he had to do before his initial six month period was up in Spain was to ‘leave’ for a ‘few’ days before returning to the country and going back to his job.

    At the time of writing I really don’t think he has left the country for any period of time.

    My thinking is that if he does leave for a short period of time and then returns then he’ll face some difficulties with the authorities.

    Do you have any advice to offer on this situation?


  • Gemy April 7, 2012, 5:29 pm

    I am an Egyptian engineer, i have applied for a master degree in germany, but i haven’t got any admission yet, i want to apply for student applicant visa which is valid for 3 months in order to learn the language and be familiar with the country, but when i have contacted the embassy, they provided me with “shengen visa application papers”.
    my question is, Can i get “with this visa” a resident permit after i get admisson from the University?

  • yaw April 8, 2012, 8:01 am

    i have 3 years staying permit in uk issued to me 4 months ago can i apply for german visitors visa?

  • Priya April 10, 2012, 8:06 am

    I have an Indian Passport and i came to Geneva for 36 days tourist trip( mar-21 to Apr- 28) along with my husband who came with a Work Permit visa. My Husband is travelling again on August 2012 for a period of 3 months, but he says that the tourist visa will not be given for 3 months, it can be only for limited days… Can i travel again in August with him or i cannot..

    Please anyone help

  • Dip April 10, 2012, 2:57 pm

    Hi there!
    I am currently in France with a Type C schengen visa. I am planning to apply for carte de sejour. Can you help me on how to do it? I have searched online on how to do it but it only shows those that has Type D visa. Nothing about type C. My visa expires on May 29,2012. I need your help asap. Thanks


  • vera April 11, 2012, 9:32 am

    Hi what i can do if police catch me and i have no visa?

    • Vagabond Journey Guides April 24, 2012, 12:28 pm

      Follow them to jail and get deported. Or attempt to claim refuge status.

  • Vee April 12, 2012, 2:38 pm

    Hi Wade,
    You have preety much tried to answer all the queries posted by various travellers. I appreciate the good work you are doing.
    I tried to find answer to my queries in the above posts but didnt get a clear picture. Maybe my case is little different and I hope you could answer.
    I have indian passport and live in UK with temporary residence permit. I was supposed to visit Sweden for business purposes and hence applied for the Schengen visa at Swedish consulate.
    The visa granted to me was for 4 months (Mar19-Jul18) with 90 days stay validity. I travel quite regularly back home to UK (almost every weekend) and am finding it difficult to keep a track of number of days stay.
    Also, it seems like my work will go beyond July 18.
    My question is, can I stay less than 90 days and go back and apply again for my next business visa starting for Jul19. How will be my stay counted for the next period.
    What are the other possiblities to continue my stay beyond 90 days. Does national visa (D visa) come into effect for my case.
    I don’t intened and don’t want to stay longer as its not worth getting problems at immigration (fines & bans).
    Wish you could answer my question and this could help other people in similar situations.


  • Kat April 13, 2012, 2:09 am

    I am an EU citizen resident in Spain. My boyfriend (Australian) and I came together to live in Spain. We have joint bank account, NIE numbers, we bought a house here, my daughter goes to school, I study and my boyfriend follows the construction of our house and does consulting outside the EU quite often. Problem is now that when transiting via Zurich, the checked his passport and saw he has been in Schengen for 118 days. They gave him a letter saying that in 1 to 2 months he will receive a fine and a possible ban for 1 year and up. When we bought the house, our lawyer said that there is no rush for registering in Spain. So for the last few months, it slipped our minds and off he goes on his last trip. He us due to come back on tomorrow mornings flight from Johannesburg. He could not do anything else, his home, family, clothes etc etc etc is in Spain. Could we get married? Or what else can we do? Thank you for any help, if any.

  • Kunal April 13, 2012, 7:07 am


    I have a query.
    I ll be traveling to Poland from India on employment basis which would grant me a TYPE D visa.
    Now from Poland i need to travel to France using the same TYPE D visa. My intent to stay in Paris would be for a longer duration say 3-4 months that too for work.
    So for all this would a TYPE D visa be sufficient. Will I be able to enter France and stay there and work for 3-4 months?
    If not how could I make this possible?
    Is there a TYPE of Visa which would be required?
    Kindly help me to clarify the above.

    Thanks and regards


    • Vagabond Journey Guides April 24, 2012, 12:25 pm

      No, if you want to work in France you need a work visa for France.

  • Michelle April 14, 2012, 2:25 pm

    Hi Wade, thanks for your help. So i have a schengen visa issued by Portugal valid until July 17 2012, multiple entry, duration of stay 90 days and i am a permanent resident of Canada with an Indian citizenship/passport. I travelled to Portugual in January 2012 for 5 days and came back to Canada. I was then invited by a friend to visit with her in Lucerne, Switzerland for 4 days so i contacted the Swiss embassy and they said i was fine to visit with my friend on my Portuguese schengen visa. My flight is booked via Austria and then Lucerne, i am not enterring Portugual at any point during this trip. Now i’ve read your blog and somewhere it says that you have to enter the issuing country first then proceed elsewhere. also i did not know about the 91 days outside. i believe i returned on Jan 26 to canada so i’m not sure if 91 days have passed. My flight is tonight so you can imagine my stress at this moment! Please help! Will i be okay? Thanks

    • Vagabond Journey Guides April 24, 2012, 12:24 pm

      If you were in Portugal for 5 days, you have 85 more to go in the Schengen zone. The rule is 90 days out of 180. I would be worried about entering the region through a country that your visa is not issued through. They could deny you entry. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t — it’s real hit or miss.

  • Chaitz April 15, 2012, 1:29 pm

    I have my visa till May end i.e. till 31st May.
    I need to travel to Switzerland on 4th June which is in 4 days after my existing visa expires. I understood I cannot apply for my visa till the existing one expires so if I apply after 31st May I will not get my visa before 4th June.
    Is there any solution to this?

    Someone told me that I will need to cancel my existing visa and apply for a new one. Is this true? How can I cancel ? and will it add a bad remark on my records ?

    • Vagabond Journey Guides April 24, 2012, 12:21 pm

      Your fried is correct: you can’t have two active Schengen visas. If you need to be in Switzerland on the 4th you will need to cancel the current visa and reapply.

  • imran April 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

    Dear Sir,

    I have got a schengen visa its duration is 22 days mean 05 May 2012 to 27 May 2012 and stay is 8days mentioned on it so can you guide me that can i stay one more day mean can i stay one more day on this visa?

    Waiting for you kind reply,

    • Vagabond Journey Guides April 24, 2012, 12:20 pm

      No, you can’t stay for one more day. A one day overstay is punished the same as a one year overstay. There is no grace period.

  • LEE April 16, 2012, 6:04 am

    Hi Wade

    I got Shengen visa issued by German Embassy in Laos. I also plan to visit France. so after I visit German, then Paris, could I fly direct from Paris to Laos or do I have to go back to German to fly back home?

  • Natalie April 18, 2012, 9:43 am

    I think I am in a bit of a mess and am hoping you can help.My nationality is Indian. I had a Category C German Schengen visa 3 years ago which I used only once, for a two day trip to France. ( I had actually gone to the french consulate in UK for a french visa just before my travel and they said that they could not issue a french visa unless the german visa was cancelled first, however I would not have any problem in entering france on the german visa.) Now I need to apply for a german visa again as my spouse has been transferred to germany. Will I get rejected? Will it help if I accompany my application with a letter explaining my ignorance ( and apology!) to the german embassy?
    Many thanks!

  • Asif April 18, 2012, 1:43 pm


    Am facing some difficult situation, My schengan visa expiring on 5th May 2012 and I have to travel on May 8th it seems that not possilbe to get visa within 2 days in Dubai as indian national.

    Can please let me know whats alternative option, because this is very important i cannot change the date of my travel?

    ist I travel on 4th may and and extend the visa in france? or overstay and pay the fine in that case how much per day total?

    Please clarify urgently,


  • Lo Yin Ping April 21, 2012, 6:44 am

    Hey Wade,

    I come from Hong Kong. My boyfriend is a Belgian and I plan to move to Belgium at the end of August! I have went to the Belgium Embassy in Hong Kong about my situation and they told me that you need to apply the resident permit directly at Belgium. We are not yet plan to get marry this year and what is your suggestion that I can stay longer time in Belgium before we decided to get marry.

    Thanks so much and look forward to hearing from you.


  • Toni Karam April 21, 2012, 8:25 pm


    I am a 22 years old Lebanese student planning my trips for this summer:

    Greece, 6 days from August 1 to 6, 2012
    Belgium, 15 days from September 8 to 23, 2012

    I already got a schengen visa I had used for Austria last summer.
    I would like to have your recommendation whether I should apply for a schengen visa twice (once for each of the 2 countries -Greece then Belgium-) or should I apply for 1 schengen visa with a 2 or 3 months validity?

    I would be grateful if you can give me your opinion on the process.

    Many thanks


  • Gaurav April 23, 2012, 7:24 am

    I am having an indian passport with valid 6 months multiple entry scnegen visa from belgium embassy. I want to take my wife and kid along with me for 10 days trip. So whats the prcedure for this and should i apply for their visas in belgian embassy or from any other country.

    • chacha April 29, 2012, 4:19 pm

      Hello! I’m planning now to go back to the Philippines but my Schengen Visa now was expired. I’m staying here in France for about 6 months (around 150 days I guess). I’m so worried for the fines and for the possible penalties that could give me by the immigration officer of the France before letting me to enter into the plane. And I’m so worried that if they would hold me and won’t be able to catch to my scheduled flight. What would be the worst thing could happen? thanks.

  • Colin Viljoen April 23, 2012, 2:53 pm

    Hi there,
    Can I apply for a Schengen visa 6-7 months before my travel date?
    Regards Colin

  • Shruti April 23, 2012, 3:44 pm


    I have been living in The hague for the past one year. My visa is valid till 15th of may this year. I am on a dependent’s visa and to start the process of renewing my visa my husband’s visa renewal process needs to be initiated. However, considering that the HR is not the most effective part of any organization :P, it has been taking a while. I need to be in India as soon as possible (for dental emergency as i do not have a dental insurance here) . My husband is staying on but we were told that i need to be around to renew my visa.

    Is it possible to renew my visa without me being present here? If not, when can I reapply for my visa and will it be advisable to hold on till the process starts or can I leave and reapply from India?

  • Wmplxr April 23, 2012, 11:20 pm

    Hello my name is wmplxr am studying in UK and want to go to Europe. My question is i need to go to Germany but the embassy appointment schedule is busy till next month and i need to travel earlier than that. so is it possible that i apply for a different embassy such as Netherlands while i enter Europe from Germany ?
    Because my friend was telling me that they wont let me on the plane once they find out that my main entrance is not the same country that issued the visa.

  • Mani April 24, 2012, 8:53 pm

    Hello Wade ..first of all thank you for all your efforts ..this website is a tremendous source of great info!! ..now to my question, I am applying for a schengen visa from Canada (I am a permanent resident of Indian origins). I read one application requirement on the French Consulate site that has confused the hell out of me: “Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago” ..does that really mean if my passport was first issued more than 10 years ago but has since been renewed, in essence a new passport, I am not eligible to apply?? ..or am I reading this completely wrong? ..thanks for your help!! ..kind regards, Mani

  • armin April 25, 2012, 9:49 am

    Hi please let me know that can i travel to ireland by schengen visa ihave norway schengen viza.
    Armin from Iran

  • nafiseh April 25, 2012, 11:59 am

    I have a schengen visa from Switzerland embassy, can I go at first to Rom?

  • Lawrence April 27, 2012, 10:12 pm


    I am a resident in United Arab Emirates and I have a schengen visa for Italy which is valid for 3 months, the visa was issued from Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. will it be possible to fly to Italy from another country so the destination will be Beirut(Lebanon)/Rome/Abu Dhabi. or you have to use it only from Abu Dhabi.

    Thanks a lot

  • Sanoj Thomas April 28, 2012, 10:59 am

    Hi Wade,
    I would need your valuable suggestion,, I am Indian . I arrived in Poland with C- Type Schengen visa for 3 months. My friend {British Citizen} from London invited to London, how will I apply tourist visa to London? Can I apply London tourist visa in British Embassy in Poland? What are the papers required for the London tourist visa?

  • mathew April 28, 2012, 11:34 am

    hi, i have a question to my friends,well, my brother is coming to visit me in italy from u.a.e with business schengen visa for 10 days.can he visit paris,france?if he make a travel to paris by flight it may need to face any immigration problem? is he need to carry any further documents?give me support plzzzz……

  • C A April 28, 2012, 11:58 am


    Normally I would need a Schengen visa to enter a Schengen country. I am going to the US for a couple of weeks and I’m currently applying for a US visa. My return flight be having a stop in some European country (probably France or Germany).

    Do you think I can stay there for a couple of days with the american visa or I’ll need to apply for a schengen visa? (not planning to stay for more than 2-3 days).


  • Robert April 28, 2012, 10:10 pm

    In a bind, My wife is a permanent Resident of the USA. She has a Ukraine passport with a Schengan visa to Visit Spain with me from May 2,2012 to June 16,2012. The problem is with the dates. Our flight now leaves the Ukraine on May 1,2012 going through Germany then Spain. What do you think the likely hood of Germany and Spain allowing passage?

  • Venu April 30, 2012, 6:36 am

    I have traveled to Germany last year for 10 weeks. I got a Schengen business visa which is valid from 10 July 2011 to 09 July 2012. It had 90 days restriction and multiple entry visa.
    Now I need to travel once again to Germany this year for 2 months period starting from May 25th 2012. Will I be able to apply for a fresh Visa even though last visa is valid, but can’t stay as already consumed 74 days?


  • ranjit April 30, 2012, 8:04 am

    hi i have 5 year visa of germany its valid to 2014. i have stay one year in india . i have indian passport . now i can go germany . or not pls reply me

  • sanjay April 30, 2012, 5:17 pm


    I am working as a seaman on a cruise ship and my ship is coming to rouen close to paris. i was been told that i cannot go to paris but i can go out in rouen because certain nationalities are restricted. I am indian so if i want to go to paris to visit for a day ,can i be given a visa online and if yes how could it be done.

  • John Bright May 1, 2012, 4:17 am

    Hi , I have a Schengen VISA issued by the Netherlands embassy and I am planning to stay in Amsterdam for 5 days. My port of entry will be Netherlands and exit also will be the same . Is it OK to travel to Paris for a day and return the same day back to Amsterdam. Pls suggest

    Thank you …………John.

  • chloe May 1, 2012, 10:32 pm

    so my boyfriend has an american passport with right to remain in the uk and tried to travel to France by ferry and was informed that there had been a shengen ban on the passport for 2 years, however he was able to enter Amsterdam about a month previous to this……..by plane. They did not inform him why he had the ban or how he would get this lifted but he thinks he overstayed the 90 days when he lived in the netherlands. We had already booked a holiday for the 15th of June to Tenerife and he is planning to just turn up at the airport and see what happens. Anyone have any idea how long the ban lasts of any advice of who to contact?
    Yours Sincerely
    Caleb Szakacs

  • Mikhail Uteev May 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

    Hi there, I have a question, hope ypu you will have a chance to answer it. I hold a German National visa ( for students ) which is allowing me to stay for 90 day and than requires to be extended. I’ve been here for a bout 60 days so far and right now I need to urgently fly to Russia for a couple of days and return. My question is: would I have a problem flying back to Germany due to the fact that my current visa have 19 days left? I am applying for extension now but it will take a few weeks and they do not give me any written proof that I’ve done so. Hope I explained everything clearly.
    Looking forward to your reply.

    Kind regards

  • Jan Chabert May 3, 2012, 1:38 am


    I ¡’m a Belgian and want to know what the exact steps are to get a Colombian friend of mine to visit Belgium (and travelling some other countries in the Schengen aswell)
    Can you help me out with the what, how and when?
    Thank you so much!

  • Mary May 3, 2012, 5:19 am

    I’m Dutch and my boyfriend is Mexican. He wants to visit me from September-december this year. We’re going to take a cruise to the Mediterranean for 3 weeks leaving from southampton UK. I have done this before and know that they don’t stamp your passport in any of the countries. So am I right if I say that my boyfriend can visit me for 2 months, go on a cruise with me from the UK and after that return to holland again with me for 1 month (so a total stay of 3 months and 3 weeks) or will the visits to the cruiseports show electronically on his passport because of the check in at the cruise terminal in Southampton? There won’t be any stamps because we don’t need our passport anywhere, only the ones from the UK but honestly I have no idea how it works!
    Thanks for your help!!

  • jlc May 3, 2012, 9:43 am

    I overstayed my schengen visa for 1 year and I’m now here in my country. I am a Filipino. I want to apply for USA, could us embassy see my overstayed schengen visa? Would USA grant me a visa if I apply? Thank you very much!

  • Angela May 6, 2012, 8:39 pm


    My 14 year old daughter is travelling from South Africa, to Holland, then to England for a long weekend, back to Holland, then home to South Africa.

    Am I correct in applying for a Schengen Visa for her.

    Many thanks, Angela

    • Vagabond Journey Guides May 9, 2012, 9:03 am

      Yes, for the mainland Europe part of the trip. But she’ll need a separate visa to visit the UK.