Tips to avoid a longer stay than intended in your destination.
Many people travel to different places around the world, whether it be for work or pleasure. When one travels on their own, they are always more prone to risks than if they were traveling with friends or family. Unfortunately, another risk is becoming an unsuspecting drug mule and ending up in circumstances you wouldn’t wish upon your own worst enemy.
What Is A Drug Mule And How To Travel Safe In 10 Easy Steps
What is a drug mule?
A drug mule is someone who knowingly or unknowingly transports drugs and illegal substances by hiding them in their luggage, body (by swallowing the substance), or inside an object. The term was originally used for smugglers who swallow illegal drugs to transport them across borders from the 1960s onwards. However, now it also refers to those smuggling drugs internally within a country and internationally.
How do drug smugglers get caught?
Many drug smugglers get caught because of their own mistakes or simple bad luck. The most common reason is that they get caught by customs officials during a search of their luggage, car, or airport security checks.
What is drug trafficking?
Drug trafficking is the illegal act of selling, transporting, or owning drugs for nonmedical purposes. Many street gangs and organized crime groups are involved with drug trafficking, including the Mexican cartels responsible for smuggling drugs across the border into America.
What is federal law?
Federal law refers to the U.S. legal system and all laws made by Congress . Federal criminal charges come with stricter sentences than similar charges at the state level.
What is a felony?
A felony is a crime that has a maximum punishment of more than one year in prison. In many cases, felonies can lead to much longer sentences as well as permanent damage to your criminal record. This makes it hard to find employment and move on from past mistakes.
How do drug trafficking charges work?
If you are caught selling drugs by law enforcement, you will likely be charged with drug trafficking. During this process, the court will determine if the crime was simply for personal use or for profit. While sentencing guidelines vary depending on your record and other factors surrounding the case, most people who are convicted of drug trafficking serve at least five years in prison.
What is the average prison sentence for drug trafficking?
The average prison sentence for drug trafficking crimes in America is over ten years. If you are convicted of selling drugs on multiple occasions or within close proximity to children or other people, your potential sentence can be much higher than this average. When dealing with large amounts of drugs, there’s also a chance that you will be charged with drug trafficking even if you did not actually sell the drugs yourself.
Here are ten easy steps you can follow so you can find safe traveling conditions:
1) Make sure your vaccinations are up to date. Yes, this sounds like an easy way to prevent illness but can also save your life in some places. This is because you could contract diseases that are no longer prevalent in the Western world; one example is yellow fever.
2) Make sure you plan what city/country you’re going to and understand the customs of this place. For example, women who wear short skirts and low-cut shirts may be frowned upon in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
3) Make sure that you have an understanding of this area’s laws. This can be as simple as knowing the date rape drugs are illegal, like flunitrazepam (Rohypnol).
4) If possible, travel with someone else, whether they are friends or family. Keep in touch with where they are at all times and make sure you have an understanding of the language each other speaks. This will help if something does happen later on while you are traveling around.
5) Pay attention to your surroundings. If you find yourself in a new city, take some time to walk around and familiarize yourself with it. You can even do this when you get to your destination before going out for the night.
6) Keep your money, cards, and passport somewhere safe. This is essential no matter what place you are in! A pocket inside of your backpack or a waist pouch may be useful for some people, while others will prefer to sew their money into the seams of their pants.
7) When traveling by yourself, try your best not to look like a tourist. This means dressing like people around you, and even learning some of the languages can help you blend in more. You never know who is watching or if certain groups are out to target tourists specifically for crime purposes. It may also be wise to take off any expensive jewelry you are wearing, especially if it is known that the area has a high crime rate.
8) Learn how to use your surroundings. For example, if someone comes up behind you, quickly turn around and look them right in the eyes. This will make them think twice about whatever they are thinking of doing.
9) Always have a plan B. If you are traveling alone, learn alternate routes to get out of certain areas. At the very least, try your best to stay aware of where you are at all times and always be on alert for any suspicious behavior around you.
10) Look up information before traveling to a specific place. You can visit the U.S. Department of State website for more information on traveling in different places around the world. This will not only help you stay safe but also know what to do in certain situations when they arise.
What is an Addiction Treatment Center?
An addiction treatment center, also called a rehab facility, is a place for people struggling with drug and alcohol addictions to seek help. These centers will provide detox services as well as therapy sessions to treat both the physical and mental effects of addiction. In addition, certain luxury rehabs will work to get rid of any addictions you have by replacing them with healthier habits.
How do I find an addiction treatment center?
If you are struggling with drug addiction, your best bet is to visit a rehab facility as soon as possible. You can look up options in your area by searching the Internet for different rehab facilities and contacting them directly for more information. Once you have a list of potential centers, try visiting their websites or calling them to learn more about the addiction treatment programs they offer.
Drug mules are used to transport illegal drugs across borders. Travel safe and be smart when you are looking into where the next destination will be.
About the Author: Other Voices
Other Voices has written 823 posts on Vagabond Journey. Contact the author.