≡ Menu

Transit Visa to Jordan

I am planning on taking a low budget airline to Amman (Jordan) and then enter Israel from there. What I need to know is would I need a tourist visa to Jordan?

Support VBJ’s writing on this blog:

I am planning on taking a low budget airline to Amman (Jordan) and then enter Israel from there. What I need to know is would I need a tourist visa to Jordan as well if im gonna take the road to Israel? or will they help me with a Transit Visa? If so how many days can I get a transit Visa for?

Hello Sam,

I do not think that transit visas are offered in Jordan if you intend to continue your travels by land. If you had proof of a connecting flight, then you could just get a transit visa at the airport. But, from what I can tell, transit visa cost just as much as a regular tourist visa.

I say just ask when you get there and see if they will give you a free transit visa . . . if not, just pay the $15 for a full visa that will give you 30 days.

Walk Slow,


More information about traveling from Syria to Jordan
Crossing Border Syria to Jordan
How to Travel from Amman to Tel Aviv
Travelers cross Israeli Border with Iraq/ Syria visas

Transit Visa to Jordan

Filed under: Border Crossing, Israel, Jordan, Middle East, Travel Help, Visas

About the Author:

I am the founder and editor of Vagabond Journey. I’ve been traveling the world since 1999, through 91 countries. I am the author of the book, Ghost Cities of China and have written for The Guardian, Forbes, Bloomberg, The Diplomat, the South China Morning Post, and other publications. has written 3703 posts on Vagabond Journey. Contact the author.

Support VBJ’s writing on this blog:

VBJ is currently in: New York City

10 comments… add one

Leave a Comment

  • Craig | travelvice.com May 31, 2009, 11:18 pm

    I’ve not yet seen a LCC fly into Amman — certainly better prices can be had flying into Tel Aviv.

    Link Reply
    • admin June 1, 2009, 1:23 pm

      Yeah, I agree totally. Just fly to Tel Aviv.

      Link Reply
  • IRatna Pendse January 1, 2011, 10:04 pm

    Is it possible to travel from Jericho (israel) to Amann (Jorden) by land or ferry?. Do you need a visa and where do I get one? I will be in Jorden for a few days touring, then I will return to Israel for touring and then fly back to US. Do I also need a visa for Israel as well as Egypt?

    Link Reply
    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com January 2, 2011, 2:15 pm

      If you are from the USA you do not need to get a visa in advance for Israel or Jordan or if you enter Egypt by air. But if you enter Egypt from Jordan or Israel and intend to travel farther than Sinai be sure to get a visa.

      Link Reply
  • Faidon January 31, 2011, 3:29 am

    I plan to take a flight from Dubai to Amman on Jazeera Airlines. Then change to Easyjet and travel to London the same day, not leaving the airport. I have a Greek passport.
    Will I need a visa and if so where can I get one.

    Link Reply
    • Wade | Vagabondjourney.com January 31, 2011, 9:56 pm

      It is possible to get the visa to Jordan at the airport, but this SHOULD not be necessary. Explain that you are just connecting flights. But as you have two separated tickets on two different airlines, they may make you go through immigration if the airlines are in different terminals (I don’t know what the setup is at the Amman airport). If you were staying with the same airline, I would say that there would be very little chance that you would need to go through immigration, but as you are on two different airlines it is a possibility.

      Though the worst thing that would happen is needing to pay $15 for nothing — but I strongly believe that you could get out of this.

      Link Reply
  • Ariel February 9, 2011, 7:43 pm

    Hi…we have seafarers here in the Philippines schedule to joined on his vessel of assignment in Aqaba, Jordan. what kind of visa should we apply for them.

    Link Reply
  • Rob June 15, 2011, 10:13 pm

    Hi, My fiance is Ethiopian and is traveling to the U.S. with a U.S. visa. The flight stops down in Amman, but she won’t even have to get off the plane. I’m guessing she won’t have to get a transit visa, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

    Link Reply
  • gazel March 14, 2019, 6:48 am

    we have a connecting flight to amman
    n jordan going to warsaw poland..but we have to re check-in our luggages..my question is..do we still need a visa to amman jordan since we have only 4 and a half hours to have our next flight..thank u

    Link Reply
    • Wade Shepard March 14, 2019, 2:34 pm

      If you need to re-check in that means you need to go through security and customs, so, generally speaking, if you require a visa to go to Jordan then you’re probably going to need to get a transit visa. Why don’t you just get a connected layover, so that you don’t need to leave the transit area?

      Link Reply