San Cristobal de las Casas in a happening city in Chiapas state in the south of Mexico. Where is San Cristobal de las Casas? San Cristobal is around forty minutes east of Tuxtla, five hours northwest of Palenque. It is in the heart of Chiapas. Cheap accommodation in San Cristobal de las Casas There are [...]
San Cristobal de las Casas in a happening city in Chiapas state in the south of Mexico.
Where is San Cristobal de las Casas?
San Cristobal is around forty minutes east of Tuxtla, five hours northwest of Palenque. It is in the heart of Chiapas.
Cheap accommodation in San Cristobal de las Casas
There are MANY cheap hotels and hostels in San Cristobal. All you need to do is walk to the town center and look for them. Expect to pay at least 40 pesos per night for a dorm bed, 60-100 for a private room. Renting rooms by the month is a popular option amongst long term travelers in San Cristobal.
The following is a selection of hotels and apartments that rent to travelers by the month.
Located at Francisco I. Madero No. 9-B, Centro Histórico, San Cristóbal De Las Casas, Chiapas, the Casa Madero is one of the best places to rent a really nice room by the month. Here, you can get a private room with cable TV, private bathroom, 24 hour hot water, and WIFI internet.
Tel: (967) 678 20 00
3000 pesos, single room/ month
3500 pesos, double room/ month
Temp stay apartments
There is a temp stay apartment house at Diego Dugelay 17. Tel. 044 967 115 94 91. Some rooms have a private bathroom, others are shared. WIFI internet, kitchen, common area.
2300 pesos, double room with bathroom/ month
1600 pesos, single room shared bathroom/ month
This place is a traveler’s run collective house on Guadelupe Victoria. To stay at this place find Carlos at the Kitsch and Bagels restaurant.
Around 400 to 600 pesos per month.
Cheap eating in San Cristobal de las Casas
There are many cheaper restaurants throughout San Cristobal that offer good set lunches for 40 pesos. But to really eat cheap shop at the supermarkets. Cheap restaurants and supermarkets are marked on the map below.
San Cristobal de las Casas cheap travel map
1. Chedraui Supermarket- This is a large supermarket on the outer edges of the San Cristobal. This is probably the cheapest place to by groceries in the city.
2. Bus stations- This is where to go to get a bus. This is also where you will also more than likely come into San Cristobal.
3. Kitsch and Bagels- This is a travelers meetup point. Many long term travelers work here, and is the place to go to find out about staying in the Traveler’s Home.
4. La Mariana Restaurant- This is an Italian restaurant that has really good lunches for 40 pesos.
5. Taco Restaurant- This is one of the cheaper places for tacos, 4.5 pesos each.
6. Market- Lots of cheap food options in the market.
7. Coffee Shop- This is one of the cheaper coffee houses in San Cristobal, it is right on the park, good views of city life, sidewalk tables.
8. Casa Madero Hostel- Great hotel that offers good prices on rooms for the month
9. Rana Roja Tattoo studio- One of the better tattoo studios that I have ever been to. Good prices.
10. Short term stay apartments for travelers
12. Traveler’s Home collective living house.
13. Super Mas supermarket.
Other maps of San Cristobal de las Casas
Previous post: Argentine Travelers as Economic Refugees