The best way to travel Greece.
Greece is a favorite vacation destination, and as travel resumes, many are considering an island-hopping trip. But before you take off, you should do some research and figure out the best way to see the islands…which just so happens to be by boat!
The Appeal of a Greece Vacation
Travel has certainly looked a little different over the past year, but with hope on the horizon, many people are actively looking for opportunities to begin traveling again. One place that grabs a lot of attention is Greece. Here are a few reasons why:
- Variety. If you’re looking for an eclectic travel experience with plenty of variety, Greece has it all. Beautiful coastline, beaches, resorts, modern cities, ancient ruins, art districts, fishing villages…you name it!
- History. There are few countries in the world with more rich history than Greece. With ancient ruins stretching back thousands of years, you’ll get to see the world through an entirely new lens of humanity.
- Beauty. Greece has rich beauty. From the people to the places to the picturesque landscapes, there’s something awe-inspiring about this nation. You could spend weeks in one place, or travel to a different place each day, and you’ll still be amazed.
- Food. Greeks know how to eat and entertain. From gyros and baklava to feta and souvlaki, there’s flavor in every bite. And don’t forget Greek coffee and wine!
While Greece has much to offer, the Greek Isles are the nation’s crown jewels. And the best way to see the islands is by boat.
3 Things to Consider When Traveling by Boat
Hopping the Greek Isles by boat is exciting, breathtaking, and full of incredible experiences. If you’re interested in planning a trip, here are some things to consider:
Where Do You Want to Go?
Saying you want to visit Greek’s Islands is like saying you want to visit America’s West Coast. You have to be a whole lot more specific! Do you want to visit the popular islands like Santorini and Mykonos? Are you interested in smaller islands and fishing villages that lie just off the beaten path?
“Whichever it is, you’ll want to make sure your itinerary allows you enough time to experience the place or places that take your fancy,” Frommer’s mentions. “Some ships visit a port and spend the full day, while others visit two ports in 1 day, which limits your sightseeing time in each (but gives you more overall visits to different places).”
Your destination will provide more clarity regarding when you travel and which type of vessel you take.
What Do You Want Out of the Boat?
Speaking of boats, what are you looking for in a ship? There are so many different kinds that you’ll have to get clear on what you want. Choices include:
- Megaships. These are your traditional cruise ships with a dozen restaurants, multiple pools, minigolf courses, Vegas-like casinos, and onboard entertainment. They’re big and boisterous, which appeals to many.
- Midsize ships. Whereas a megaship can carry thousands of people, a midsize ship is much smaller and more intimate. It might house a couple of hundred guests. And while there may be some onboard activities and entertainment, it’s a pared-down version of what you’d get on a megaship.
- Gulet charters. For a totally personal and private experience, try a Greek gulet charter. These small ships are anything but cruise ships. They’re essentially yachts – featuring a combination of private cabins, public areas, and decks for soaking in the sun and sights.
It can’t be stressed enough that the type of boat you select will make or break your experience. Some people want a lively megaship, while others prefer a classy gulet charter with white-glove service. There’s no wrong answer – it’s your personal preference!
Budget and Cost
You obviously have to take your budget into account. Depending on the boat, the company, the length of your trip, and other amenities, you could spend anywhere from $100 per person per day to more than $1,000 per person per day. Set a budget ahead of time and work with the options that fit.
Plan the Trip of a Lifetime
A trip to the Greek Islands is guaranteed to be a trip you don’t forget. From the sights and sounds to the history and food, it’s a place unlike any other. And when you travel by boat, you’ll discover an entirely different vantage point that most travelers never dream of experiencing.
Next post: Using Personal Loans for Travel
Previous post: 5 Things to Consider Before You Take a Trip to the Smokies