Along the way during our travels we have encountered a few motorcycle travelers who have recounted their adventures on a bike. I jealously listened to them recount their adventures off the beaten path, exploring remote parts of the world. From the Che Guevara-inspired long distance trips across South America to the shorter trips around Europe [...]
Along the way during our travels we have encountered a few motorcycle travelers who have recounted their adventures on a bike. I jealously listened to them recount their adventures off the beaten path, exploring remote parts of the world. From the Che Guevara-inspired long distance trips across South America to the shorter trips around Europe or Iran, there are many ways to travel by bike.
Whether you are taking your motorcycle out across continents or renting a motorbike for a few days once you arrive in a country, traveling by motorcycle is truly a unique way to experience a new place. Before any trip, travelers need to prepare well by making sure they pack lightly only what they need, get the right motorcycle apparel, read up on basic motorcycle maintenance, have the right replacement parts, and be ready for the unexpected. Wherever you choose to go, it is sure to be an adventure. If that hasn’t convinced you yet here are five beautiful places to take a motorcycle trip this summer:
1. Cabot Trail, Canada: Cabot Trail is located on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Cape Breton is home to beautiful lush forests, mountains and Celtic heritage culture. Cabot Trail offers lots of scenic coast lines and is a gorgeous setting for riding a motorcycle.
2. Buller Gorge, New Zealand: The road from Murchison runs alongside the gorge, so you are treated to stunning views. If you are up for a longer ride, you can continue following State Highway 6 to the coast and ride down to Paparoa National Park.
3. Andalucia, Spain: A beautiful place to ride, there are many options on route depending your desires. If you ride up from the desert landscape of Cabo de Gata you can turn west and make your way around the Sierra Nevada National Park to the lovely city of Granada. This route will offer diversity from the coast, desert, vineyards and mountains, you can see it all.
4. Baja, Mexico: This sweet little peninsula in the Pacific Ocean offers an adventuresome ride for travelers. The highway hugs the coast in many areas so riders are treated to great views. There are some military checkpoints but they are mostly there to protect tourists and aren’t a big deal besides a short wait (most of the time). There are plenty of smaller towns to explore along the way, or you can head straight for Cabo San Lucas.
5. Cape Town, South Africa: A beautiful stretch of road at the very tip of Africa. The Garden Route or R62, two roads that will lead you out of Cape Town to explore the coast, neighboring vineyards and countryside. There are lots of opportunities to make stops to see wild animals at game lodges or even, during the right time of year, even whales just off the coast!
The benefits of traveling by motorbike are plenty:
More independence and freedom: no need to rely on train or bus schedules or if you don’t like the look of a town, it’s easy to just take off and ride on until the next one.
Easy to make friends: lots of people will be interested in a long distance motorcycle ride, and it is easy to strike up conversation at the local bike dealer or mechanic.
Really experience the landscape: when riding a motorcycle, you can really slow down and get to know the country you are traveling through instead of just watching it zoom by through the window of a bus.
or more information about motorcycle riding check out our very own Motorcycle Bob answer questions about how to prepare for motorcycle travel and how to pack for motorcycle travel. Wherever you choose to go, it is sure to be an adventure.
Previous post: Why is a Travel Credit Card Better than Cash?