Where to go and what to do.
If you are thinking about planning a trip to Gilbert, Arizona, but are unsure about where to start when organizing a vacation to the most populous town in the whole of the U.S, then you have come to the right place. Gilbert, which can be found on the edge of the Phoenix metroplex, is known for being a family-friendly and hugely welcoming town, just what you want when you are going to be surrounded by 242,354 local residents.
Once known as the “Hay shipping capital of the world,” Gilbert has come a long way since then and is now a vibrant and exciting town that offers so much to travelers who decide to visit. From amazing local dishes that wouldn’t look out of place in a top eatery in California, to a multitude of quirky attractions, to the outstanding areas of natural beauty, there is something for everyone in Gilbert, Arizona.
Are you feeling even more overwhelmed now? Don’t worry, within the below article you will find out:
- When to visit Gilbert
- Where to stay in Gilbert
- Which must-see attractions and local sights you need to visit
- What to pack for your vacation to Gilbert
When should I visit Gilbert, Arizona?
If you have visited Phoenix before, you will be all too familiar with the heat that can be overwhelming in the summer months. Gilbert is also very warm and dry at this time of year but cools down significantly in the winter. Therefore, the best time to visit, unless you love the heat, is in the springtime or early fall.
Fortunately, Gilbert only gets around 9 inches of rain a year, significantly below the U.S average of 38 inches. Hopefully, you are not planning to build any snowmen, as Gilbert has an average of zero inches of the white stuff per year, compared to the U.S average of 28 inches of snow. Over the course of the year, you can expect the temperatures to range between 41 to 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ultimately, the time of year that you visit is up to you and dependent on when you can get time off work and whether or not you need to work around school vacation times.
Where should I stay when vacationing in Gilbert, Arizona?
Although there is a wide range of hotels, apartments, and inns in Gilbert, Arizona, to suit every budget, there is one type of accommodation that stands out above the rest due to its affordability, versatility, and convenience. This accommodation also doubles up as your transportation: an RV.
As well as wanting to explore everything that Gilbert has to offer, you will probably want to check out the local attractions and sightseeing opportunities of the nearby towns and cities, including Phoenix, Mesa and Scottsdale. That is why choosing to rent an RV in Gilbert Arizona as your accommodation choice is so perfect, as you have the option to travel wherever you want and then simply park up at a local campsite.
Fortunately, there are many top-quality campgrounds in and around Gilbert that provide a wide range of facilities, including Wi-Fi, swimming pools, and the option to bring your pet along for the ride if you want to.
Some of the best campgrounds in the local area include:
- Hacienda Solano Resort
- Twin Palms RV Park
- Five Star RV Park
- Tiffany RV Park & Apartments
- Green Acres RV Park
If you do choose to rent an RV for your Gilbert vacation, you can even find local renters that will deliver your chosen RV directly to your doorstep. This way, you don’t need to spend any additional funds on traveling to Gilbert itself, plus you can start your vacation from the moment you leave your driveway.
What are the must-see attractions in and around Gilbert, Arizona?
There is so much to see and do in Gilbert, not to mention the vast amount of attractions that are available in the surrounding towns and cities.
Some of the most popular and unmissable attractions and days out include:
- Bird watching at the Riparian Preserve at the Water Ranch
- Checking out a live show at the Hale Centre Theatre
- Marveling at Saint Anne’s Catholic Parish
- Indulging in some shopping at SanTan village
- Burning off some energy at Freestone Park
- Practicing your shooting at Gun Club 82, Gilbert’s premier indoor shooting range
- Learning about the solar system at Gilbert Riparian Observatory
- Having brunch at Gilbert Farmer Market
- Visiting the Gilbert Historical Museum
- Treating yourself at El Bella Day Spa Gilbert
You could also drive in your RV to some of the slightly farther away attractions that the state has to offer including:
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Superstition Mountains
- Picacho Peak State Park
What should I pack for my trip to Gilbert, Arizona?
Packing for yourself and possibly for your family too when you are going on vacation, especially somewhere you haven’t been before, can be a nightmare, to say the least. Of course, you don’t want to forget any essential items, so you end up throwing in everything and anything. This is not great if you are trying to keep the weight in your vehicle down to save on fuel!
Therefore, it is a good idea to know what type of clothing to pack for your vacation in Gilbert, plus any other extras that might make your trip more comfortable.
Here is a checklist of certain items and clothing that you may want to pack for your Gilbert vacation:
- For winter trips – bring lots of layers of warm clothing, especially if you plan to visit the Grand Canyon
- For summer breaks – lots of loose and cool clothing, vest tops, shorts, etc.
- Sunscreen – whether you are visiting in the winter or summer, as the sun shines all-year-round
- Comfortable shoes including walking/hiking boots if you are planning to check out any local trails or parks
- Sandals or flipflops for general wear in summer
- Sunglasses to block the sun’s rays
- First aid kit
- Emergency car kit if you are traveling in your own vehicle or a rented one
- A travel purse or bag to keep your money safe and secure
- Beauty/home appliances if you are traveling in an RV
Hopefully, you are now feeling a lot more prepared and ready for your trip to Gilbert, Arizona. Now all you need to do is count down the days until you can set off for the adventure of a lifetime!