≡ Menu

Overstaying Visa in Italy

Send to Kindle

What would happen if my boyfriend overstays his tourist visa in Italy by five months?

Hello Anna,

What happens if you overstay your Italy tourist visa?

To answer your question simply: Your boyfriend is playing a game of chance. He may be caught, he may not be. There is no telling. But if he does not exit the Schengen region from Switzerland or Germany his chances of leaving without a fine or ban rise exponentially.

There could be problems though if you intend to fly through the UK (I don’t know where you are from) on your way home, as I have heard of them denying travelers who overstayed their Schengen visas.

You can read more about this here:
Overstaying Visa in Europe

More information on overstaying Schengen visas can be found here:
Overstaying Visa in Germany

Travel to UK/ Ireland after overstaying Schengen Visa

Penalties for Overstaying Visa to Work in Italy

If your boyfriend decides to travel with you to Italy, he will have three months on the ground to see the situation for himself, talk to people, and figure out what he wants to do.

I hope this helps.

If you find any of this information different than what you experience, please let me know so that I can pass the word along to other travelers. Thank you.

Walk Slow,


If you appreciate me answering your travel question please consider making a contribution. Vagabond Journey.com is funded from reader donations. Thank you

Original question about overstaying Italian visa

I will be attending school in Florence Italy for eight months and my boyfriend would like to come with me. However, we haven’t found a way that he could stay for the whole eight months without him going to school also. But, that means a lot of money. What would happen if he would overstay a tourist visa by five months?

Do you have a Schengen visa question?

If so, then take a look at our Schengen visa community forum. It’s a community just for people who have questions or concerns related to Europe’s Schengen immigration zone.
Filed under: Italy, Travel Help, Visas

About the Author:

Wade Shepard is the founder and editor of Vagabond Journey. He has been moving through the world since 1999, traveling to 55 countries. He is the author of the book, Ghost Cities of China, which is a first hand, experiential account of China’s urbanization drive which has created hundreds of completely new cities. has written 2813 posts on Vagabond Journey. Contact the author.

Support Wade Shepard’s travels:

Wade Shepard is currently in: Xiamen, ChinaMap