≡ Menu

Deportation for Schengen Visa Overstay

Do you get deported for overstaying a Schengen visa in Sweden?

Deportations for overstaying a Schengen visa is incredibly rare. Nobody is coming after you. When you leave the Schengen region there is a good chance that you are going to be taken aside, given some forms to sign, and then be banned from re-entering this part of Europe for a few years. The entire process is pretty straight forward, formal, and matter of fact.

Stop worrying, you are free to do whatever you want until leaving. Typically, even if the police do find that you are there illegally, you will just be requested to leave on your own rather than being deported.

Europe map

Complete question about being deported for overstaying a Schengen visa in Sweden

I really need help on my situation. overstayed in sweden for 7 months on my student visa expires, i am from india, after i realized that i didnt applied for student residence permit extension i got scared and afried of detention or deport, fortunately in these overstayed days i didn´t done any job or other things, just i was idle in all these days. Now after realizing my mistake am prepared for deportation but am scared and afried of detention or fine, is it possible to convince migration board that i will voluntarily leave the country (sweden). i am so stressed and pissed off of the mistake and wrong i did, really really need your suggestion and advice, it would be really greatfull if you gave me a suggestion.

Do you have a Schengen visa question?

If so, then take a look at our Schengen visa community forum. It’s a community just for people who have questions or concerns related to Europe’s Schengen immigration zone.
Filed under: Schengen Visas, Sweden, Travel Help

About the Author:

Vagabond Journey has been featured on MSNBC.com, The Daily Mail Online, Business Insider, Gizmodo, the Des Moines Register, CBS Phoenix, NBC LA, and numerous other international and local publications. has written 2687 posts on Vagabond Journey.

Support Vagabond Journey’s travels:
Vagabond Journey is currently in: Xiamen, ChinaMap
  • Denise

    My sons travelled in Europe and were not aware they needed a Shengen visa until they exited through Switzerland. They were pulled aside, given a form in German and went on their way. My one son attempted to pay the fine but was told he did not have enough time. How do we get this taken care of so they return at some point? Who can we contact. The Swiss consulate says it is not something they deal with. Any suggestions???

    • http://www.vagabondjourney.com Wade Shepard

      Typically, they are banned for three years. It is tricky to clear this up once in the system as the authorities are often unwilling to help..

  • 0r9gj0eg9j

    I know someone who has been in Estonia on a 90 day visa for over 2 years.. ‘they don’t come after you’ is a under, or over(?), statement..

    This person even walked through the immigration offices a few time trying to get information on going back to no avail..without anyone saying a word.

    The only catch is not to come across a policed location where identities are force checked. This is extremely rare and easily avoidable in most of Europe though..

    Go there and learn the language and get a ‘off the books’ job..an euro is $1.60 and the government don’t care about their own people let alone illegal immigrants.

  • Jahmi

    Hi, I had a shengen visa and entered in Netherlands. I moved to spain while my visa was still good but I overstayed in Spain and had my voluntary exit from there. At the immigration they noticed that my visa was expired and asked me to explain. They didn’t give me any papers to sign or read but the officer told me I could be banned for 5 years and he made a mark on the stamp for departure. 4 dots on each side using a pen. I am not sure whether he meant I am banned from entering Spain or entire Europe. I am hoping I could get back once I find a good opportunity in any country but I wanna know if I stand a chance after what happened. There were no formal interrogations and discussions about what I did. Just that. So I’m wondering if I could go back soon by entering another country. Thanks

  • uh-oh

    Hey, my boyfriend is from argentina and is about 1.5 years over his original 3 month Schengen visa. I’m australian (visa situation fine!) and we are looking to immigrate to Australia… do you have any advice on how to get him “legal” without having to return to Argentina? For eg Argentinians are able to enter and stay in Turkey for 90days, this would get him a stamp.. but we’re not sure what we should do after that?!
    Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

    • Wade Shepard

      The only thing to do is to exit the Schengen region legally and face the potential consequences, which is usually a three or so year ban from reentering Schengen Europe. Many overstayers are still getting out without being punished though, so there are reasonable odds of success. Exiting from the Eastern states or Italy is usually best, but keep in mind that there may be extra scrutiny on your bf because he’s from South AmeriCA.

  • Marcos

    I went into estonia in september last year and overstayed until june this year. I exited through madrid with no problems. My question is I exited so I could get paperwork to apply for a school in estonia (which is the reason for the overstay, hoping that someone could mail these papers to me but they never did). As of right now I cant apply for current semesters schools and have to wait to apply for winter semester classses. I have a return ticket for mid august with an entry in finland. As you may guess, from june 13 to august 15 there is not 90 days. Is there any way in which they may let me back in? Could i argue that the 180 days was expired thus this being a new 90 days (and having the papers I came to the states for in hand) I might be able to get in and then go to a student visa locally in estonia.

  • mario

    hi,my name is mario and i have a question to u…i come in germany for tourist visa in invitation.but my time period is finish already 2months.so i want to go back in middle east.what is the procedure to get out without any problem..

    • Ashley

      Hi Mario,
      Maybe this story helps…. my boyfriend was a Schengen Visa overstayer by 1 year and 4 months, he is from Argentina. He left the Schengen area about 2 weeks ago from Hungary, going to Serbia. So the border he crossed was the Hungary/Serbian border.
      Argentines can go into Serbia without a visa. So the polica let him through without any problems. They did not say anything about him overstaying his Schengen Visa by more than a year.
      But, in case there were any problems he had printed information about where he was going in Serbia – he was first going to a festival, and then going to wwoof (volunteer on a farm). But they did not ask him for any of this. They just stamped his passport and let him through.

      Before he did this we also got some information from an immigration consultant in Germany, and she said that if you are leaving Schengen and going back to your home country then you should not have any problems. It is only when you are trying to go to some other country…

      If you want legal advice, contact these people (you can just email them, they speak english)
      [url removed]

      I don’t know how it is for whatever nationality you are, but if you are going back to your home country then it “seems” like you should not have any problems.

      Good luck!!

      • Wade Shepard

        “Before he did this we also got some information from an immigration consultant in Germany, and she said that if you are leaving Schengen and going back to your home country then you should not have any problems.”

        THIS IS BAD ADVICE. Simply put, it’s not correct. This site is full of testimonials from people who were busted trying to return to their home country. I repeat, European immigration officials often give misinformation. It’s sad, but they truly cannot be trusted.

  • mario

    hi wade shepard,you didnt give me my answer is there any problem or not because i come in invitation so when i will try to leave this country then the person who send me invitation he get problem or not…..

    and thanks ashly to advise.

    • Ashley

      What happened to my boyfriend actually happened. So this is one case of crossing the border as an overstayer and not getting deported/fined/arrested etc.

      So in this case, the advice from the immigration consultant rang true. Do with that what you will. Good luck!

      • Wade Shepard

        Sure, it happens. But your boyfriend did not exit the Schengen zone going back to his home country — he entered Serbia — so the immigration officials advice does not really apply in this case.

    • Wade Shepard


      Schengen visa questions are now only answered for contributors to the site. I simply get too many of them for it to be any other way. Those that I do answer without a contribution are those that could share potentially fresh/ new/ different information for others reading these pages. IF you’re interested, go to http://www.vagabondjourney.com/visa/schengen-visas/, become a contributor, and I will answer your question through private email consultation.

  • mario

    if i will pay for ticket and fined then what they will do with me…i want to go by air….


    I overstayed in the Netherlands, they stopped when leaving and I didnt realise I couldnt re enter until I flew back in 6 months later from Australia! I then spent 3 days detained in the Lounge of the airport, roaming around ! It was awful ! I was banned for 3 years ! Now I need to re apply to have my name removed. Does anyone know the process ???

  • Cy

    Hello, this might be a wee bit unrelated, I’m a student in Hungary and I failed to renew my residence permit which has now been expired for almost two weeks. Is there a chance I will get deported? Cheers

    • Wade Shepard

      No, you won’t be deported, but may face a ban when exiting the Schengen zone.